Wednesday, February 7, 2018

Steal Away Home by Billy Coffey

If you love baseball I think this will be a book you too love. Now I am not a professional sports kind of girl. Love high school sports and watching my kids and now grands play sports, but pro sports not so much. So, you may ask why I would choose this novel. Well, I chose it because it was penned by Billy Coffey, the title, and the cover. The title speaks volumes about the content in the novel. This novel is about two worlds and one of them isn't on the field, but home, the place where the heart longs to be. The cover is spectacular and because of this I was intrigued. 

Where we place our love matters. This is a huge take away for me from this novel. Owen has a chance to play ball. One night. Throughout this novel Owen isn't focused on the game so much, but as he sits on the bench his memory travels back in time. Now we continue to go from yesterday to present. I love how the reader is invited to see the relationship with Owen and his dad. The father wants him to succeed in ways that he never did. His mom encourages him and loves him no matter what his choices. But his father is pretty strong in his feelings. So to see this battle in his heart touched me. 

Another aspect that I enjoyed was the growth of Owen. He seemed to battle so much of who he was, who he was suppose to be, and who is really is. But everything changes with God. Something happens on that bench and it was a blessing to see the changes in the heart that took place as he remembered, thought about today as well as yesterday. Through this battle he is able to see what's most valuable in life. 

This one was slow for me. It was difficult to really get into it and want to keep reading, but once I did I seen the heart of this novel. Unexpected glory takes place within these pages and for that I am so happy I chose this novel. 

This novel was a gift from Thomas Nelson for sharing my review with you. 


Billy Coffey's critically acclaimed books combine rural Southern charm and a vision far beyond the ordinary. He is a regular contributor to several publications, where he writes about faith and life. Billy lives with his wife and two children in Virginia's Blue Ridge Mountains. 

AddToAny

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...