Wednesday, February 7, 2018

Cold Water by Samuel Parker

I chose this novel because Samuel Parker is new to me. I love being introduced to new authors. The title made me curious and of course the back blurb caught my attention. The cover has that thriller/suspense appeal. I was ready for an amazing read. 

Coming from Revell I am surprised. I have yet to read a Revell novel that didn't contain faith since it is a faith based publisher. I have loved Revell novels. But this one didn't contain any faith. There was no mention of God. So, for that fact this was a difficult read. I expected more, especially from Revell. 

I read novels of all genres. So a novel doesn't have to be faith-based for me to enjoy it. But when coming from a faith publisher that's what I expect. It doesn't have to be in your face. It can be gentle and flowing, but here it was neither. Nothing of faith. 

This is a very dark read. A killer. He's being chased. There is an evil presence within him. He wants redemption, but doesn't expect to find it. There's my issue again. I would have loved to see this sin filled man, being chased, having evil surround him, but journey to a place where redemption finds him. That was missing. 

The writing is exceptional. I love the flow of this writer's pen. Oh, this could have been a phenomenal read...if only. The story has power. It holds within it such promise for a great novel, but I had a difficult time finishing it knowing that is was really going no where. 

I will wait to see what's next for this writer and be captivated by his next work. I wish this could have been a wonderful review. It just wasn't what I expected at all. But just maybe you will pick up this novel and see what I have not been able to see. That is my hope. That you give this author a chance. There just may be something here within these pages that lights your fire and makes you excited to read!

This novel was a gift from Revell for sharing my review with you. 

Samuel Parker is the author of Purgatory Road. Born in the Michigan boondocks, he was raised on a never-ending road trip through the U.S. Besides writing, he is a process junkie and the ex-guitarist for several metal bands you've never heard of. He lives in West Michigan with his wife and twin sons. 

AddToAny

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...