Wednesday, August 9, 2017

Get Out of That Pit (Straight Talk About God's Deliverance) by Beth Moore

I have read just about every book penned by Beth Moore. There's something spectacular about each of them. This one became a fave when I reviewed it years ago. I read it when it came out in 2007! Twenty years later she is celebrating the anniversary of this penned gem that has touched the hearts of its readers. 

I was thrilled when asked to review it once again. Now, in reading it years back and now reading it again I have gained many new insights. My journey of faith has grown, life has happened, and circumstance has brought its struggles. So, in reading it right now, wow, it is just one of those timeless reads that is for everyone at every stage of our walk. 

Now, I could share all of my insights, all of my highlighted passages, but I'm going to skip that on this review. It's more amazing for you, the reader, to uncover your own insights as the Spirit speaks to your soul. When we give Him room He reveals Himself to us, gives us just what we need in His perfected timing. 

The pit is real. Beth knows this pit. That's why she can share about it. What I love is that Beth is transparent. It's like sitting on a porch, coffee in hand, with your best girlfriend next to you, and Jesus is shining down upon your moment together. 

Another aspect I love about this book is that Beth just doesn't share about her pit, but she shares the way out! She shares the hope of Jesus! She shares His grace is bigger and wider than anything that touches our lives. 

This book is based on Psalm 40:1-3
"I waited patiently for the Lord; He turned to me and heard my cry. He lifted me out of the slimy pit, out of the mud and mire; He set my feet on a rock and gave me a firm place to stand. He put a new song in my mouth, a hymn of praise to our God. Many will see and fear and put their trust in the Lord." 

Beth isn't that teacher that just gives words of her own experiences. She's that teacher that leads the reader straight to the Word of God. She never fails to leave Him out. He is in everything she writes. That's powerful stuff! 

She tells us in the opening, "I'm writing to tell you I believe God has scheduled your flight out of a pit. You're going to have to show up for it, though." Right?! We have to show up and be present!! We can't sit back and just expect God to do it all for us. Is He capable? Absolutely!!  But, we have to participate in the journey, put in the hard work, and from giving Him room to move on our behalf, He shows Himself to us in ways we could have never imagined any other way than going through the struggle and seeing it through.

Beth's writing is raw. It has a purity that is missing in most. This makes her real to the reader. A writer in which they can relate to. She also gives us scripture prayers, where she shares three aspects of the prayer life. Cry out, Confess, and Consent. Through this we can grow in our prayer life as we travel through this remarkable gem of a work she has brought us. Also added is a Get Out of That Pit Discovery Guide, that is really amazing. Great questions for each chapter that give us more room to ponder.

If you could purchase only one book I would encourage you to grab up this one. You are sure to walk away with blessings. Listen, if we are not in a battle right now, we will be in one. That is a certainty. And as those battles come the pit is real to us. It is a trap Satan has laid for us. We can prepare by reading books like this one! No journey is the same, but one thing is for sure, we can make sure our focus is on the King of kings, the Healer, Guide, and Redeemer. Freedom is only the Savior away!

This book is a gift from Thomas Nelson for sharing my review with you.

Beth Moore is a teacher and a writer of bestselling books and Bible studies, whose public speaking engagements carry her all over the United States and the world. Get Out of That Pit was first published in 2007, and has sold 75,000 copies. A dedicated wife, mother of two, and happy grandmother of two, Moore leads Living Proof Ministries. 

AddToAny

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...