Tuesday, August 23, 2016

Saffire by Sigmund Brouwer

The exquisite cover caught my attention. Next was the fact that Sigmund Brouwer was the author. I had read, Thief of Glory, when it was released and just couldn't put it down. I was captivated by this story. So, I was intrigued to see what this new novel held for me. 

We are taken on a journey to the Panama Canal in 1909 in a time when Teddy Roosevelt is president and all is uncertain. Even the life of the main character, James Holt, is uncertain. He knows where he has come from. A fantastic life as a Buffalo Bill cowboy! Now, he has been called by the president to come and do some research for him. Only he isn't so sure what that entails. 

His life grows more exciting by the day. I don't think this character ever has a dull moment. There is so much detail in this story. The history alone is phenomenal. There is a huge history lesson throughout this novel, but in the last pages in the Author's Note there is much insight for the reader to gain about the characters and time. I would suggest reading the Author's Note first. 

I have to be honest and share that I didn't have a lot of information about the life and times of the Panama Canal. I now have been given a great gift that has invited me to dig deeper into this time in history that isn't shared too often. For that I am grateful.

This selection took me a while to finish. It was just loaded with such detail and history it was a lot for me to absorb when I simply just wanted to escape for a few hours. I think a second reading would cause me to fall in love with this novel. This is a beautiful story that is penned deep. If you're ready to read a novel unlike the norm where you know where the next page is taking you, this is a gem for you. 

Intrigue, sabotage, romance, just about everything you want in a novel. But what was lacking was the faith. That is my only draw back from sharing this with my readers who want to see faith come to life off the pages they are reading. That aspect is disappointing for me. More and more I am seeing Christian publishers release novels that aren't faith filled. For the history lover this will be a selection you won't be able to put down. 

This novel was a gift from Waterbrook Multnomah Publishing for sharing my review with you.


The best-selling author of the multi-award winning World War II novel Thief of Glory, Sigmund Brouwer has written nineteen novels and has more than three million books in print. Through his Rock and Roll Literacy Show, he leads writing workshops to eighty-thousand students a year in schools from the Artic Circle to inner-city Los Angeles. Sigmund is married to recording artist Cindy Morgan and has two daughters.

AddToAny

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...