Tuesday, February 9, 2016

The Newsmakers by Lis Wiehl and Sabastian Stuart

I was so excited when I seen this book could be requested in print. I couldn't wait to begin reading. I have read many of Wiehl's novels and they were unputdownables!! This one was a bit difficult for me to stay with. It was pretty predictable and as far as it being marked {Christian}, I'm not sure why Thomas Nelson lists it as Christian Fiction. As an avid reader of Christian Fiction it truly didn't leave a mark of faith with me. 

In fact, I think many might be let down a bit by the language afforded in this book. I've never read a Christian novel that carried ungodly language. Although subtle, some may be offended just for the reason of being reviewed as Christian. The book itself is listed as Fiction/Suspense. 

I enjoy how the main character Erica is transparent. Weihl does a great job at bringing out her personality and her struggles. She is a strong character, a woman who is trying to achieve a life worthy for her daughter to respect. We do see she has a great love for her daughter and is willing to do whatever she must to continue fighting against her past issues with alcohol. Weihl shows us the the destruction this caused in her life and also how Erica fights to overcome. 

The newsroom is a place where we see a battle of good and evil. Erica has been warned that everyone isn't so nice and trustworthy. She has this gut feeling that she doesn't ignore, but trusts. She's a woman whose strength shines through. She is able to lay her fears down and push through this new life of her with unveiled eyes. 

Yes, there is intrigue, but not the thriller I expected. But we do see a woman who is transparent and through telling her story is able to overcome obstacles in life that in her past would have caused her to crumble. I love seeing people overcome. If there is any kind of {faith} message that comes from this novel it would be the battle against good and evil. We see good triumph when one person is willing to stand up and do the right thing. We see through this novel that when we are willing God will use us to complete His will. 

Not what I expected, but still a great story. If you are strictly a Christian novel reader this may not be the book for you. I'll leave that choice in your hands. For me, I really enjoyed this novel and will look forward for the next to be released. 

This novel was a gift from Thomas Nelson for sharing my review with you.

AddToAny

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...