Thursday, February 4, 2016

Living Letters

I love writing letters. Hand written notes of love penned with words that try their best to describe what the heart is so trying to convey. 

To go to the mailbox and see a stamped letter from a friend makes the heart soar. This is something that doesn't happen so often now in the age of texting and emailing. A hand written note takes time. It says, "I love you". 

We are living letters of Christ. How cool is that? Think about that for a moment. Let it ponder there for a bit. What is your letter saying? It is happy, angry, or sad? Is is sloppily put together or greatly thought out? Each and every word is counted and has action behind it. Our living legacy. Our words are powerful and our actions mighty. To think of myself as being a living letter of Christ makes me ponder deeply the magnitude of my word and deed. 

"You yourselves are our letter, written on our hearts, recognized and read by everyone. It is clear that you are Christ's letter, produced by us, not written with ink but with the Spirit of the living God-not on stone tablets but on tablets that are hearts of flesh." 2 Corinthians 3:2-3

I have a drawer where I keep card and letters from family and friends. Those words penned are special to me. They are keepers that have written on my heart a love that is mighty. Just as the Word of the Lord is written upon my heart. It's everlasting. I use old cards as bookmarks. I go back and read notes penned over the years by my children and husband. These precious words are those that I especially treasure when I'm having a rough day. 

"I have treasured Your Word in my heart so that I may not sin against you." Psalm 119:11

To treasure the Word is to live the Word. To live in such a way that the world will see Jesus through us and in our action might there be some love ink splashed on the heart of everyone who passes. 

"Keep My commands and live; protect My teachings as the pupil of your eye. Tie them to your fingers; write them on the tablet of your heart." Proverbs 7:2-3

May each person who looks upon my life see a reflection of the Lord. May they see through me a living letter of God's love. This is the kind of chain letter we need to pass to one another. A letter that has return. A heavenly return that brings glory to our Lord. 

"Mankind, He has told you what is good and what it is the Lord requires of you: to act justly, to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God." Micah 6:8

We live in a world that needs to know that feeling of going to the mailbox and seeing handwritten letter. A letter splashed with grace and filled with love. A letter that warms the heart and lifts the soul. 

"Therefore encourage one another and build each other up as you are already doing." 1 Thessalonians 5:11

AddToAny

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...