Wednesday, December 2, 2015

Being Still

How are you at being still? I'm not always so good at it especially if there is a circumstance I'm facing that I think needs {fixed}. You fixer-uppers like me know exactly what I'm sharing here, right?

We see an urgency to move. We can't possibly just be still and allow things to happen before us without doing something. I mean just who would we be if we kept still for a time? Well, if we take out our flesh and our {fix it} attitude and simply trusted Jesus we would be walking in complete faith. You know what? He doesn't need our help. He is capable all on His own. And in fact, He knows more about the entire situation than what my eyes are able to see.

A week ago our little Dachshund, Stanley, hurt his leg. Poor fella slipped off the love seat and terribly injured it. Oh, the yelping broke my heart. He was in such pain and there was nothing for us to do until the next morning. I just wanted to help him. I just wanted to do something. We would have a long night before us. Morning could not come quick enough.

Stanley is doing well now, but that's because I have been working around the clock to keep him still. Let me tell you that this has not been an easy feat. Stanley is a wiggler and he absolutely loves people. So when my hubs or son walks through the door he is ready to fly through the house as fast as possible and jump as high as his stumpy legs will take him. He loves adventure. If he isn't finding trouble, trouble is quickly finding him. My eyes had to be upon him at all times. No jumping, no running, no stretching, no movement of any kind. Simply still quiet.

As I was working hard to keep Stanley still and quiet I was pondering how often Jesus is wanting me to simply be still and how hard He is working on my behalf to keep me still, to keep me from trouble and harm.

Stanley didn't understand why he had to remain still. All he understood was that I was keeping him down when all he wanted to do was play. If I would have allowed him to run and jump it could have injured Stanley for life. It could very well have created more of an issue than what he was now facing.

Often we don't understand God's call for us to remain still, but in being obedient we later reap the blessings of listening to the Father quiet our frenzied spirit. There is much we face every day that causes us to fret and worry. Does any good at all come from our anxious hearts? It is better for us to remain still and trust God.

Jesus if often calling me to be still and I want nothing to do with it. Remember, I'm that {fix it} girl and if something needs my attention I am there to do all I can. But see, that isn't giving God the room He needs to work. I'm moving in and in doing so I'm saying, "I can do this. I know what needs to be done". With this attitude I am forever limiting God.

I can share that I am much better today at not jumping in ahead of Him. I'm still in the learning process just as Stanley is still in training. I am a work in progress. God understand my stubbornness. He knows my personality. He knows how passionate I am. He doesn't want to squash my spirit. Not at all. He wants to protect me. He is trying to keep me from harm. Yes, He is trying to teach me to listen first to Him and not first act on my own immediate thoughts that rush in and get me stirred into a frenzy. It's easy to do, isn't it? Too often we act before simply being still and listening. But as we know, as I know from taking care of Stanley this week, being still isn't simple at all. If it was so easy I don't think He would continue to remind throughout His Word. This is something we must learn with time and patience.

"Be still, and know that I am God." Psalm 46:10

"Rest in the Lord, and wait patiently for Him." Psalm 7a

"My soul, wait silently for God alone, for my expectation is from Him. He is my rock and my salvation; He is my defense; I shall not be moved. In God is my salvation and my glory; The rock of my strength, and my refuge, is in God. Trust in Him at all times, you people; Pour out your heart before Him; God is a refuge for us." Psalm 62:5-8

"But those who wait on the Lord shall renew their strength; They shall mount up with wings like eagles, they shall run and not be weary, they shall walk and not faint." Isaiah 40:31


Are you facing circumstances today that are causing you to be anxious? My friend, be still in Jesus. I'm learning right along with you that being still is us surrendering our flesh, opening our hands to Jesus, and trusting Him with all. When we choose to be still we are being obedient to our Savior. He will call us into action when we need be, but before He does He wants to prepare our hearts. He has work to do and although we want to step into action we first need to be still and wait for His voice. 

He will quiet us, calm us, and sustain us, during those times we so need to remain still. It is this time we learn such life lessons that will carry us through circumstances to come. Once we learn to be still the more we will act upon that instead of first acting on our own and regretting our actions later. 

Everything in His perfect timing. As Stanley is healing and beginning to run again it gives me great courage and hope knowing that the next time I'm called to be still I can know without a doubt that there is a purpose and plan that will only grow me to experience all of God in this adventure of a life.

AddToAny

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...