Sunday, November 29, 2015

Waiting Here For You (An Advent Journey Of Hope) by Louie Giglio

The first time I had heard the name Louie Giglio was from my son who had heard him speak at a conference. My son was blown away by this man who so clearly walks the talk. My son will find this book sitting on his nightstand to once again be blown away and to grow through this season of hope.

Louie takes the reader through Advent. The days of November 26-December 24. I picked up this gem of beauty and didn't want to put it down. I actually did something totally different from any book I've reviewed. I sat by myself and read this book aloud. Sure, it was Louie's words, but it was simply me and Jesus.

"My hope is that this Advent devotion will help you hear the cries of the baby in the manger and the words of the Messiah on the cross. I pray that it will encourage and fortify your faith so hope may bloom again. For each day throughout the Advent journey you will find Scripture readings, Christian meditations, words of encouragement, and prayers. Carve out a few moments daily to embrace the gift of Christmas through reflection, worship, and prayer. As you do, there's a good chance something new will be born in your heart, so when Christmas day arrives you will be able to truly celebrate what God has done and what He has promised to do."

Each day begins with scripture. It then moves to Reflection, then on to Meditation, and ends in Prayer. Each of these are powerful and poignant. Louie's words of reflection are pondering. The meditation section is a collection of different lyrics dating years back. It was truly the prayer section that stirred my heart. Throughout the book are varying black and white photos that give the heart room to ponder.

I knew I would love this book but I just didn't know how much this book would bless me. This is a book I will carry with me for a great while. I will add this book to my purse. It's one of those books that just isn't for Advent, but a reminder for us all throughout the year. To bring us back to the manger, to the cross, to Jesus. To bring our focus back to what's really important from season to season in life.

Some of these old lyrics were brand new to me and speaking them loudly made this book all the more powerful for me. Here are a few that truly stirred my spirit:

The Day is Surely Drawing Near
Fear Not To Trust Me In The Storm
O Lord, How Shall I Meet You

Here are a few of the prayers that touched my heart:

"Father, in the middle of the storm I am setting my hope on You. You fight for me and You are greater than all my enemies. Nothing I face today is more powerful than You. You are the solid ground beneath my feet. Thank You for surrounding those who surround me. Give me peace in the presence of my enemies, knowing that You see me and defend me in Your love. Amen."

"Father, You alone know how hard I have searched for satisfaction in the people and things of this world. But they are broken, and I am too. You alone can fill my hungry heart. You alone have the love that is like no other. You never change. Open my eyes today. Show me Your riches and glory. Help me know You more. Let me see the feast of You that is set before me, so I may delight myself in You alone. Amen."

This is truly a wondrous book that I would suggest you grab up not only for this season, but for every season of life. There is so much to ponder. It is such a small book, but one that leaves a lasting imprint on the heart, bringing the reader to grow closer with Christ.

This book was a gift from Thomas Nelson for sharing my review with you. 

Louie Giglio is the pastor of Passion City Church in Atlanta, Georgia, and founder of Passion Conferences—a global movement of college-aged people living for the fame of Jesus Christ. A dynamic and effective communicator, Louie holds a master of divinity degree from Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary. He and his wife, Shelley, reside in Atlanta. For more information about Passion City Church, visit passioncitychurch.com, and for more about Passion Conferences, visit www.268generation.com.

AddToAny

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...