Wednesday, July 8, 2015

Following A Pattern

Quite a few months back I began meeting with a friend once a month learning a new stitch for an afghan. We were intentional about meeting. Too often friends say, "Let's get together", but then never do and miss out on tremendous blessings. We still meet once a month. Only now instead of learning a new stitch I get to show her an afghan I created because of her teaching. 

Over lunch we would take out our yarn and hook and begin the lesson. I have been crocheting for quite a many years, but have always just created in my own way, never going by a pattern. It was fun and lots of afghans and scarves came from my creative mind, but I was limited as to what I could create. There was so much more to learn. So, my friend taught me that if I could learn to read a pattern I could accomplish anything. 

She would bring along a pattern and I would watch intently as she showed me each stitch that would complete the pattern. I could pick it up quickly as long she was showing me, but once I got home I would get lost. That can be a struggle when you're wanting to create something. Patience isn't easy when you want to keep going, but getting stuck holds you back. 

While picking out yarn for a next project, which is always fun, I found a great crocheting book with hundreds of patterns and stitches. It even shows a picture of the pattern and each stitch. Surly I could figure this out on my own after having such a great teacher guide me thus far. I came home, opened up the book with excitement and began picking out patterns. 

I'm slowly making my way through this book. Each month I pick out a new pattern to learn, grab some yarn that fits my mood, and my fingers are moving like magic. When you have a creative mind it's important to always keep that flowing. Oh, it gives such peace to the soul. Starting out with a piece of yarn, learning to entwine it around a hook and loop it through in many different ways, comes from determination and learning patience. I always begin learning with just a small pattern so that I can master it before moving on to the bigger project. There are many times I have to unravel the mess I've created, the stitch I missed, or the knot in the yarn that has me stumped. Starting over isn't always easy. I've had to redo rows and rows that have taken hours to accomplish. Sometimes I have to keep going back to the book for more instruction or just me taking another look to make sure I'm following the correct pattern. Each time I learn something new.

In this life we can make it for a while, trying things our own way, but we learn we are limited as to what we can achieve on our own. When we follow God's instruction the possibilities become endless as to what we can accomplish through Him.

Ms. Joy being my instructor didn't teach me to follow her, but the pattern. A good teacher gives the student all the tools needed for study. They now want you to take all you have learned and now experience the journey of growth as you continue to be advantageous in learning.

I began as an amateur, but through continued learning I'm growing more qualified as I increase in knowledge. I'm able to create beyond what I could have ever imagined. I see those first stitches as I see my first steps with Jesus. I am now able to see what can be created by following a perfect design.

When I show Ms. Joy a new afghan I've created she is so excited and she will say, "See, I told you if you could learn to read a pattern you could do anything". It makes me feel so wonderful to know that she is over the top proud of me.


Just think how our Lord reacts when we finally get it! When we have followed His instruction and have learned something remarkable He is overjoyed. Can you envision Him when His children have succeeded in creating beauty? He is our Instructor. We the apprentice. Follow Him and we will never again be limited in our accomplishments. 

"All Scripture is inspired by God and is profitable for teaching, for rebuking, for correcting, for training in righteousness, so that the man of God may be complete, equipped for every good work." 
2 Timothy 3:16-17

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and do not rely on your own understanding; think about Him in all your ways, and He will guide you on the right paths."
Proverbs 3:5-6

AddToAny

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...