Monday, January 5, 2015

A Blue Jay and My Mitten Covered Hands

A loud bang is heard at the back of the house. It sounds like a brick crashing. I come around and take a look out the kitchen window and there still in the grass is a Blue Jay. Snow is falling. The wind is cold. I watch for a few moments. I'm praying this beauty takes flight. But nothing. I see her drop her head. I can see the movement of her beating heart. 

I bundle up warm. Mittens covering my shivering hands. A towel to wrap around the Blue Jay. I walk up expecting to startle her, but she is motionless. I gently wrap her up and snuggle her close. I brush the softness of her feathered head. I smooth out her feathered wings and speak softly. I walked around to the front and sat on the deck with her. I cradled her and soon her head lifts. 

She begins to look around. She is now holding tight to my finger. Jumping out of my mitten covered hands she takes a few steps on the crunchy grass. I pick her up again. Smiling that she has once again allowed me to handle her. Soon, she turns her head and takes flight to the nearest tree. I watch her for a while to see how she does. A few moments later off she flies with the other Blue Jays into another tree. Quietly I say, "Thank You, Jesus. Thank You". 

Some might think me crazy. After all it's just a bird. Why take the time? Just a bird? Not to me. She was created by my God in splendor. It was a great reminder to me that it's not always great and mighty acts that are meaningful and legacy makers. Sometimes it's a hand reaching out that matters the most. Sometimes it's just making an effort. Most of all it's a heart of grace and mercy. My God cares for the birds. Even the smallest of creatures created by Him. 

His love goes beyond all imagination and enters my own heart. He is always reaching out to me. Always willing to wrap me in His tender and loving arms. There is nothing as healing as the hand of God. His love extends through us when we are willing to open our heart and give Him room to make a difference. 

This breathtaking bird hit hard. Startled and shaken, all she needed was loving care. Compassion and grace. Isn't this what we all need? Don't fear reaching out to others. Our actions speak much louder than our words. Those acts done quietly are treasures that speak to the heart. 

"Aren't five sparrows sold for two pennies? Yet not one of them is forgotten in God's sight. Indeed, the hairs of your heard are all counted. Don't be afraid; you are worth more than many sparrows." 
Luke 12:6-7

"Look at the birds of the sky: They don't sow or reap or gather into barns, yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Aren't you worth more than they? Can any of you add a single cubit to his height by worrying? And why do you worry about clothes? Learn how the wildflowers of the field grow: they don't labor or spin thread. Yet I tell you that not even Solomon in all his splendor was adorned like one of these! If that's how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today and thrown into the furnace tomorrow, won't He do much more for you-you of little faith?" 
Matthew 6:26-30




AddToAny

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...