Sunday, October 12, 2014

The Legend of the Candy Cane written by Lori Walburg and illustrated by Richard Cowdrey

I love Christmas stories. I loved reading them as a child. I loved reading them to my children and now I am blessed to read them to my grandchildren. What a treasure it is to snuggle in tight and open up a book that takes a child's imagination off to wonderland. 

First I must share that the cover and the illustrations are wonderful. I felt they captured the story beautifully. Some may call them old fashioned. I call them magical. After all, this is a book about the legend of the candy cane. 

This was is a sweet story. When I opened the first page the the store keeper reminded me of Robin Williams! So, with that image, my imagination took off. I could almost hear him telling the story. Love when that happens!

A mysterious man rides into town and is the new owner of a store. Everyone is curious, but no one knows just what the store will be. Everyone is watching and waiting. A little girl gets the first glimpse. A candy shop! Every child's dream. I really loved the idea of her helping to unpack all the treats and help stock the shelves. This man just isn't going to share a story with her. He allows her to be a part of it and understand it even more so by helping him. 

On Christmas Eve everyone comes to the shop to celebrate. Something so much bigger than they could have ever imagined is happening right in their town. A story of a candy cane is being shared. It's wonderful to add such meaning to something so simple. What a treasured way to share Jesus and the meaning of the season with little ones. 

The ages for this story are 4-8. My granddaughter just turned four. She may be a bit too young to understand some parts of the story, but inviting her to enjoy a sweet story will only open her heart for later when she is ready to understand the sweet gift of salvation. 

This children's book was a gift from Zondervan for sharing my review with you. 

Lori Walburg is a freelance editor, a writer for the NIrV Kid's Devotional Bible, and the author of The Legend of the Easter Egg. She lives with her family in Grand Rapids, Michigan.

Richard Cowdrey’s favorite things to draw and paint are the things that reflect the awesomeness of God and His creation. From vast landscapes to the littlest bug on a leaf, Richard marvels at the beauty in the details. Richard's bestselling children's books include Bad Dog, Marley and A Very Marley Christmas.

AddToAny

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...