Tuesday, June 17, 2014

God Is Able by Priscilla Shirer

Priscilla Shirer is on fire for God! This is the second book I have had the pleasure of reviewing. I just finished reading, "Discerning the Voice of God". (check out my review). Wow, I can tell you that these two selections were sent to me right on time. God's perfect timing. 

In this extraordinary book Priscilla brings us the scripture verse found in Ephesians 3:20-21. "Now to Him who is able to do exceeding abundantly beyond all that we ask or think, according to the power that works within us, to Him be the glory in the church and in Christ Jesus to all generations forever and ever. Amen.", and breaks it down in seven segments that have opened my eyes to this scripture in a whole new light. This is a scripture I have read many times, but here as Priscilla opens it up, my eyes have been refreshed. I've had that "aha" moment. Don't you love when God does that for us? 

Right now as I have worked my way through these pages I am facing my own set of circumstances that are frightening. Anxiety is overwhelming me. But Priscilla has helped me understand that God is Able! He is right here in the midst of my circumstances. In fact, He has already been here preparing. As I close the last page to this book my heart is lighter. I feel a new peace as never before and I have an added strength. A greater desire to dig deeper into the Word of God and trust Him in a whole new way. I'm ready to say, "Yes, Lord. Yes! Wherever You are that too is where I want to be." 

When I read, "Discerning the Voice of God", it was a slower read for me. So much to absorb. Great stuff. A life changing book. So, when I selected to review this book I was ready for a blessing and that is exactly what I received. 

I loved how Priscilla broke the verse down into seven parts. With each part adding a new way to prove through scripture, her own life experiences, and those of others, that God is able. This verse will now sit upon my desk to be a reminder to me daily. 

Priscilla's teachings are so valuable. She's real. Transparent. And in this book we see a bit of her humor. She shares from her life experiences. Her own battles and fears that she too has overcome. 

Here are some of my favorites throughout the book and let me tell you that there are many, but not enough room to share them all. 

"Sometimes His greatest miracles arrive not in the form of dollar signs and clean X-rays but in transformed attitudes and an abundance of unexplainable peace. Sometimes His best work in not what He does for us but what He does inside us. And believe me, that is no consolation prize."

"I'm more and more convinced that when He chooses to perform physical miracles in our lives-when He does what we consider supernatural and extraordinary-His chief intention even then is not to blow our minds but to cause our hearts to become more inclined toward Him, believe Him, and expect Him, until our primary goal is not that He answer our prayer exactly the way we've been praying it, but that we know Him more fully and intimately."

"Somehow, we think that by not allowing ourselves to over-believe or over-expect, we're giving ourselves a fallback. We think we're helping God out by not forcing Him into a corner where, if He doesn't respond, we might make Him look bad. We're guarding our hearts and our watching friends for children from disappointment, from discouragement, from thinking of God as uncaring and unmoved. No, what we're doing is selling short His glory for pennies on the dollar." 

"But I know from the testimony of God's Word that "power" is one thing we should never feel short on. Even if we do get tired, exhausted even, we don't need to feel impotent. God's power doesn't negate weariness; it enables us to press through it with an uncommon persistence. No matter how tall our challenges are, His power in us is greater still." 

"You cannot out-ask, out-pray, out-dream, or out-believe in the willingness and ability of God. The Father's ability to give to us exceeds our ability to ask. and when your heart is set on this truth, you're standing on a fact that will never change in a highly changeable and challenging world. It will help you sleep easier, laugh harder, and live more peacefully in the midst of trying times." 


You cannot go wrong with Priscilla Shirer. Her writing is real and written for every heart. I have already gained so much wisdom from this woman of God. I cannot wait to continue reading her books. I'm now getting ready to open, "Life Interrupted Navigating the Unexpected". I can't wait to share with you that review! She is quickly becoming one of my favorites. God is doing a wondrous work in me and He is using this precious woman to do some amazing things. 

This book was a gift from B&H Publishing for sharing my review with you. 

Priscilla Shirer is an internationally recognized Bible teacher who focuses her ministry on the expository teaching of the Word of God to women. She desires to see women both understand the uncompromising truths of Scripture and intellectually and experience them practically. Priscilla is the author of A Jewel in His Crown, and We Are Changed, and He Speaks To Me. She is also an accomplished vocalist. Priscilla and her husband, Jerry, are the founders of Going Beyond Ministries and live in Dallas, Texas, with their three sons.



AddToAny

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...