Thursday, June 5, 2014

Bittersweet by Miranda Beverly-Whittemore

I chose to review this book through the Blogging for Books Program. This is the first book I have reviewed that isn't Christian Fiction or Non-Fiction. So, before I continue on with my review I want my readers to understand that this book is in no way a christian based novel. 

Some may wonder why I chose to read a book that isn't christian and post the review on my blog. Well, I am a lover of christian novels, but I too am a lover of all genres of books. This isn't something I normally read, but it intrigued me. Yes, there is some language and sex that I found uncomfortable. With that being said, the story line is fascinating. 

The cover caught my eye. The title was intriguing. After reading the description of the book I was even more captivated. Miranda is a new author for me. I wasn't quite sure what to expect, but I can tell you that I really enjoyed this read. 

The characters were real. We see the beauty and the ugly in people. The story started out with two college roommates and from there it exploded in so many different directions. What I loved is that the story continued to grow. With every chapter I grew more captivated. It is a complex story, which again I love. I'm captivated when a story is always taking a different direction, never truly allowing the reader to know where he or she is going. 

Yes, you could call this a coming of age story. But it is so much more. It's about family, secrets and lies. We see what happens when sin takes over and how it destroys the heart of people. Greed comes in all different sizes and shapes. 

It gives us the question, just how far are we willing to go to reach success? And what is success to us? The heart is deceptive and Miranda brings this out in a spectacular read. 

This novel was a gift from the Blogging for Books Program and it published by Crown Publishing

Miranda Bevery-Whittemore is the author of three novels, including The Effects of Light and Set Me Free, which won the Janet Heidinger Kafka Prize for the best book of fiction by an American woman published in 2007. A recipient of the Crazyhorse Fiction Prize, she lives and writes in Brooklyn and Vermont. 

AddToAny

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...