Sunday, February 9, 2014

The Quilted Heart (Three Novellas in One) by Mona Hodgson

There's an easy reason as to why I chose this book for review. I grew up in St. Charles. Living in the very same areas as in Mona Hodgson's newest gem. For this reason I was excited to begin reading . For this same reason I felt a little disappointed. I kept waiting for Mona to describe the St. Charles I know and admire. I grew up in a small farm town and I know the rich history behind St. Charles. I wanted to envision myself among these characters. For the lack of descriptive writing I felt a little disconnected. 

Now, with that being said, I really enjoyed these sweet characters living in a different time and place. Each title has meaning and I will leave that up to you to discover. These novellas take place in the years of 1865-1866. These ladies face everything imaginable. Moving to a new country. Being away from their family. The death of a spouse. Finding their way in a new land. Faith is interwoven within these pages. I found the author invited us to know each character. Of course with a novella they are short. You can't pack everything in, but what Mona does give us are stories that will bless your heart. These women overcome different trials. Just like the women of today, we all face trial, but each of our lives are different. We can learn so much from one another if we just allow ourselves to make room for friendship. Love and relationships are woven into these stories. I do love how each story didn't turn out exactly as I would have thought. Again, just like our lives. Little turns out the way we expect, but it's in those unexpected places where we find the sweet grace of God.

I loved the connection of friendship these ladies carried with them. They didn't always have friendship, but once it was found they treasured it. I love the idea of a patchwork quilt and how we are all woven together to create God's masterpiece. 

Mona is a gifted writer and the words she has penned come together nicely. This was a sweet read for me. Mona is a new author for me and one that I will keep up in the future. 

These are novellas. They are short reads. Each is a little over 100 pages, so that makes for easy reading when it's hard to find the time to sit for long periods and soak in a book. In  Mona's release of, "The Quilted Heart", we find all three novellas in one. "Dandelions on the Wind", "Bending Toward the Sun", and "Ripples Along the Shore".

This book was a gift from WaterBrook Press for sharing my review with you. 

Mona Hodgson Over the last twenty-five years, Mona Hodgson’s publishing credits have grown to include nearly thirty children's books, contributions to more than ten books for adults, and four historical novels, including her debut, Two Brides Too Many in The Sinclair Sisters of Cripple Creek Series. Mona is a popular speaker for women's groups, schools, and educators’ and writers’ conferences. She lives in Arizona with her husband and has two daughters and several grandchildren.

AddToAny

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...