Sunday, January 12, 2014

Widow of Gettysburg by Jocelyn Green

If you are a lover of history this is a book that will surely captivate you. Maybe you love to read. Maybe your lucky if you read one book a year. If it's only one, this is the one book you need to read. Jocelyn Green is a new author for me, but one that I now admire greatly. Her work here is beautifully created. Her penned words flow as clear as a movie screen before your eyes. The word picture she paints will transport you to another time and place, the Civil War. Specifically to the heart of Gettysburg, Pennsylvania and beyond. The time span covered within these pages is June 1863-November 1863.

This is a book that should be in every school and library across our nation. What is it that you think of when you hear the word Gettysburg? Battle? Death? I must admit those were my first thoughts until I read this book. At the end of this novel you will find the Gettysburg Address. Never before have I read these words by Abraham Lincoln with more clarity than I did after finishing this novel. 

I must admit to you that this is unlike anything I have read. The characters were portrayed so beautifully and their stories penned with perfection. I have yet to read the first book in this series entitled, "Wedded To War", but upon reading this selection I can tell you it could be read as a stand alone. 

As I read I was continually on the edge of my seat. The story flowed well, but also continued to build and draw me in. The main character, Liberty Holloway, is a hero. She is portrayed as strong and steady, but also holds much grace and tender mercy for others. She's giving and her compassion for others is what draws me so near to her. She has been through so much, but yet she prevails. She's not giving up. She may surrender her life to Christ, but that isn't giving up at all. She finds a freedom that lifts her above everything that could hold her captive.

We see there is much more than death in Gettysburg. Much more to be shared and spoken with great honor. Friends, this is one book you shouldn't pass up. One author you will not forget. 

My heart was glued to these pages. From the turning of the first to the very last. Faith, hope and love cover these pages. We feel with great emotion what the characters are journeying through.  You can enjoy book 1, "Wedded to War", book 3, "Yankee in Atlanta", and the upcoming forth in the series, "Spy of Richmond".

This book was a gift from Moody Publishing for sharing my review with you. This book is released by River North Fiction From Moody Publishing. 

I encourage you to visit Jocelyn Green's website at: www.jocelyngreen.com

Visit http://heroinesbehindthelines.com/ to get a complete inside look into the Heroines Behind the Lines Series

Jocelyn Green is an award-winning author of multiple books, including Faith Deployed: Daily Encouragement for Military Wives, and Stories of Faith and Courage from the Home Front. She is an active member of the American Christian Fiction Writers, Military Writers Society of America, Christian Authors Network, and the Advanced Writers and Speakers Association. She lives in Cedar Falls, Iowa with her incredibly supportive husband and two adorable children. The books in the Heroines Behind the Lines series are her first novels. 

AddToAny

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...