Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Sights From My Scope

Sitting in our deer cabin looking out with the scope on my gun. Everything so clear and precise as if the whole world makes sense. I am in awe of all the different trees standing tall around us. Some still holding leaves. Leaves are dancing off others. It's like I see these majestic beauties in a whole new way. They almost look like old men. Knotted and arms open wide. They look so wise. I wish they could speak and tell me stories of long ago when they first started out and how things have changed over the years. The storms in life they have witnessed first hand. Winters cold as ice,  springs that bring new life, and autumns that add color. They have been through the seasons of life. Some need pruned. Some branches are just dead. There are trunks that hold nothing but a shell. Somehow I think this could be the lives of those I know. 

These old gents sway in the brisk wind today. Their deep roots hold them in tight. I notice how each leaf falls differently. None the same. None has the same dance. Some fall quickly while others have a gentle sway. Again, this could be our life. So much we can learn by just opening our eyes to the beauty that surrounds us. Too often we just pass it by. We miss out on so much by living fast. I want to slow down like one of these leaves swaying to reach the blanket of leaves that crackles as a squirrel scurries to beat his buddy up a tree. They flutter their tails as if they are flirting with joy. 

There are times we need to see close up. All those things that escape our view. We need to pay attention and see the grandeur that makes life so sweet. And then are are times we need to just bask in the glory of it all. Backing up, tilting the head back and just gaze at all that surrounds us. When we slow down we see the glory of God. When we are moving quickly through life we miss it all and only catch it in spurts. I don't want to be a spurt catcher. I want to take each moment in live it in wonder. 

We walked out to the deer cabin in total darkness. My hubs moving in front of me and me stepping small and sure. We watched the sun come up together. A glorious sight. The world around us begins to come alive. My heart stirs as I wait and watch. When we leave that evening the sun is setting. Another magnificent sight to behold. I wouldn't wanted to have missed this day. To share in this glory with my husband was a gift. 

Sitting in that cabin we giggled. Oh, we laughed out loud. We spoke of the beauty around us. We shared our sweet times with Daisy, our Dachshund. We said good-bye to our sweet girl on the evening of October 31st. Reminiscing brings such healing and comfort. So much to be shared. Not one moment of this life I want to miss. I want to be able to stand tall like the Oaks around me, but gentle like the Maples. 

Such lessons for me to learn. Life is to be lived, not squandered away with regret. I planned on taking paper and pen, book and snacks. I left them all at home including the flashlight I was to grab. Yes, this is why we walked through the woods in total darkness. My hubs knew the way. Every step his feet have walked for years.  With no light to lead I could have had a drastic fall, but not with him leading the way. Another life lesson that leads me to know and understand the sureness of our Father's leading. Our steps must be calculated and trusted. This we can find in our Savior. He is our forever compass.

It didn't matter that we didn't see a deer. The full moon and the high winds didn't make for terrific hunting. It didn't even matter that we had to cut our evening hunt short because a migraine hit. I may have started my day with high hopes of having a deer in my sight, but I had something of much more of value in my vision. It was lessons on living. 




AddToAny

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...