Monday, March 4, 2013

I'm To Be A Humble Servant Of God

Two sisters. Both serving, but in different ways.

Two sisters. Both giving, but in different ways.

Two sisters. Both loving the Savior.

One brother raised from the dead.

One man who allowed greed and temptation to over take him.

One Savior who died for ALL.

Today I want to take you to John 12:1-8. This is not the first time we see Martha and Mary with Jesus. But this time Judas is here to give his opinion. Again we see the love of Jesus.

On this day, six days before the Passover, we see Martha serving. Mary at the feet of Jesus. Judas showing his true colors. They are all gathered once again. Once again we see the love of Christ.

Let's begin with Lazarus. He is a friend of Jesus. Soon the chief priests will come for him too. They see him as a threat. Christ brought Lazarus back from the dead. His linens were needed no more. The tomb is empty. Sound familiar? We too are like Lazarus in the fact that we are dead in sin. Jesus can bring us back to life. We can have life everlasting with Him. We first must realize we are dead in our sin. Second we understand that it is Jesus, our Savior, who brings life. He takes away the sin of the world and gives everlasting life. Ephesians 2:1-10

Now for Martha. She is a servant of the Lord. This is her gift. She is filled with joy when she is serving. She is serving with a love of Christ in her heart. We see humility in Martha. Martha is serving with everything she has. Like her Savior. Her friend, Jesus, who served and gave all so that we could have life. John 3:16

Mary is at the feet of Jesus again. She is listening. She understands. She is filled with unmeasurable gratitude. Mary has an expensive alabaster jar of perfume. A years wages it would take to purchase it. She breaks the jar and anoints the head and feet of Jesus. Mary understands, yet she only has a glimpse of what is to come. We have the entire Word of God in our hands. I want to have the same passion as Mary and Martha. They were using the gifts the Lord had instilled in them to use for His glory. Not their own. They were living unselfish lives. Lives fulfilling. Mary was imitating her Savior. Jesus too walked in humility. Remember when He washed the feet of the disciples? John 13:5

Judas is showing how upset he is. No, he is showing anger. He doesn't understand what Mary is doing. He sees it as waste. He is trying with all his might to show Jesus that he is only worried about the poor. Jesus sees right through Judas. He knows he is a thief (John 12:6) We aren't to do things out of selfish ambition. Philippians 2:3

"Do nothing out of rivalry or conceit, but in humility consider others as more important than yourselves. Everyone should look out not only for his own interests, but also for the interests of others. Make your own attitude that of Christ Jesus." Philippians 2:3-5

Jesus stands and speaks for Mary. He tells Judas to leave her alone. John 12:7-8 Don't you love how the Savior stands for those who love Him? He is forever with us. Guarding us, protecting us and leading us in the gifts that He has bestowed upon us. He is faithful and true. He shows us how to walk. Micah 6:8

Martha, Mary, Lazarus and Jesus. These were truly friends. They had great understanding of one another. They accepted each other in love. This is how we should love those around us. We are not all alike. We all have different gifts. Jesus wants us to use these gifts to glorify Him. In glorifying Him, in walking in the Spirit, we are imitating His actions, His life, for the world to see.

What I love is that Martha and Mary were not concerned with what others thought. They were serving in the way the Lord had called them to serve. They were focused on their Savior. Nothing was getting in the way of what their calling was on this day. All that mattered was that they were following the Spirit's leading.

These were friends giving a rose to the living. They weren't wasting time. They were not going to live with regret of what they could have done. They were determined to live a life of service. This is what I want my life to reflect.

"So then, my dear friends, just as you have always obeyed, not only in my presence, but now even more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling. For it is God who is working in you, enabling you both to desire and to work out His good purpose. Do everything without grumbling and arguing, so that you may be blameless and pure, children of God who are faultless in a crooked and perverted generation, among whom you shine like stars in the world. Then I can boast in the day of Christ that I didn't run or labor for nothing. But even if I am poured out as a drink offering on the sacrifice and service of your faith, I am glad and rejoice with all of you. In the same way you should also be glad and rejoice with me." Philippians 2:12-18

Dear Heavenly Father, thank You for giving me Your entire Word. I can hold in my hands and read the Word before me. I can see You in everything. I want to live as Martha, Mary and Lazarus. Afraid of nothing. Not allowing this world to define who I am, but finding allowing the Spirit to move in me. I want to follow You. I want to serve You. Lord, these friends of Jesus, served without fear. I praise Your holy name, Jesus. I want to live a humble life. I want to have a humble heart that is focused on You. Use me up, Lord. In Jesus name, Amen.

AddToAny

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...