Thursday, August 23, 2012

A Lesson On The Pure In Heart (Beatitude Series Part 6)

"The pure in heart are blessed, for they will see God." Matthew 5:8

In studying the Beatitudes this week, if it's possible to have a favorite, this one just might be it for me. Oh, to be pure and to see God! This verse is filled with grace. I love how each of these verses spoken directly from Christ connect with one another. They all point us to Christ. Again, we see that with Him, all things are possible.

The pure in heart is someone who is authentically righteous. To point to someone, who wasn't of a pure heart, would be the Pharisees.

"Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! You clean the outside of the cup and dish, but inside they are full of greed and self indulgence! Blind Pharisee! First clean the inside of the cup, so the outside of it may also become clean." Matthew 23:25-26

Isn't that the beautiful part? We can be real with Christ. We don't have to pretend and be fake. Although at I think at times we think we must put on a show. Yes, even for Christ. We don't have to hide who we are with Christ or with the world. We should be able to share our bountiful days of glory and allow people to see those days in which we wish we could have a do over. Those hard times that come and we question life itself. I think the more real we are, the more we are able to show what Christ has done for us and what He is now doing in our lives. We can open our heart to Him and share all with our Savior. It's that sweet intimate relationship that brings life to it's full purpose. Through Christ we are transformed. Our hearts are changed. We are a work in progress. The closer we draw near to Him, the more of ourselves is revealed. Who we are is important. He removes the old and brings forth a new beauty, as we seek to be more like Christ.

"The one who has clean hands and a pure heart, who has not set his mind on what is false, and who has not sworn deceitfully. He will receive blessing from the Lord, and righteousness from the God of his salvation." Psalm 24:4-5

"Pursue peace with everyone, and holiness-without it no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14

"Dear friends, we are God's children now, and what we will be has not yet been revealed. We know that when He appears, we will be like Him because we will see Him as He is. And everyone who has this hope in Him purifies himself just as He is pure." 1 John 3:2-3

"They will see His face and His name will be on their foreheads." Revelation 22:4

We see in Matthew 5:6 that those who hunger and thirst for righteousness will be blessed. I'm not to be looking for what this world can give me to make me who I am. It's not this world that will bring happiness to my soul. I am to look to Christ and seek His face. I am to look to Him for my example. I am to walk as He walks. I should do so with not worrying how this world will see me, but how they will see Him. There is nothing in this world that can satisfy the soul. Through Christ we find not only our purpose and plan for life (Jer. 29:11), but we find a treasure. It's like uncovering a mystery. Unveiling a masterpiece. Unwrapping a gift. Just think, we were born to be blessed.

So how do I find a pure heart? I strive to keep my eyes fixed on Christ. I think about what I allow into my life. I protect my eyes and ears. (Phil. 4:8-9) I am to put on the armor and suit up in Christ. (Eph. 6:10-20) I am to remember that I am a child of God. I am not going to live a sinless life, but I can strive daily to sin less. When I change my focus everything looks different. When I see things through God's wisdom I can better understand my life. I can remember and take hold of the fact that He sees past my sin and I am forgiven when I go to Him with a humble heart. He knows what my tomorrow will hold and I can trust in His plan for my life.

We might find that living a pure and holy life may be a struggle in this world. Then again, when we fully surrender to Christ, this world has nothing on us. It is possible. It is attainable through Jesus Christ. He gave us the Holy Spirit to guide us and to be with us. We are not alone. He has set the path and gave us our direction. It's up to us to follow.

AddToAny

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...