Monday, August 27, 2012

A Lesson On Peacemakers (Beatitude Series Part 7)

"For the peacemakers are blessed, for they will be called sons of God." Matthew 5:9

Resolving conflict has not always been my strong suit. In fact, my husband, calls me, "The Fixer". I have earned that name, with foot in mouth. I think at some point all moms are fixers. We don't want to see our children hurting and we don't enjoy seeing others hurt. I suppose that's part of being a mercy. But for me, I often step in and act before I have prayed and asked for God's guidance. That is my first mistake. Second is thinking I know what's best. I think that's the point where the Lord gives me a little push and says, "Um..Rob, would you like to get out of My way, so I can do My work?"

I too have often had to prove I'm right. I might be in an argument and rather than walk away, I have stood for the battle. Oh goodness, not a pretty picture.

Over the years I have learned humility. I have learned to pray first and act later. That is, if the Lord is calling me to act. He may just be calling me to prayer. Which is power, when praying for His mighty will.

There was a time a few years back when I was ready to fight for what was right. I called a friend and asked for prayer for the situation. I was frazzled and had no idea what to do. It felt as though I was in a battle that wasn't going any where and I was going to have to face my accuser.

My friend prayed for me and she spoke this verse to me. "A gentle answer turns away anger, but a harsh word stirs up wrath." Proverbs 15:1

This verse has become an athem for me. It remains tattooed on my heart. This verse did more for me, not just in that moment, by across time, than any other wisdom. After she prayed with me, I walked into the situation with tears and a humble heart. I allowed the Lord to speak for me. It wasn't easy, but in that moment, surrender came for me. I knew I no longer could be, "The Fixer", and I no longer needed to act without prayer. God was in control and I needed to trust Him.

I have been blessed to have peacemakers throughout my life. Ladies filled with a gentle spirit, who have guided me, and helped create in me the woman I am today. For them I am truly grateful.

To seek peace is not weakness. In fact, it is strength. It takes more for one to walk in peace than it does to walk in anger, always running at the mouth. To walk away from a situation takes more strength than it does to stand and make a fool out of yourself.

"You have heard that it was said, love your neighbor and hate your enemy. But I tell you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, so that you may be sons of your Father in heaven." Matthew 5:43-45a

"But love your enemies, do what is good, and lend, expecting nothing in return. Then your reward will be great, and you will be sons of the Most High. For He is gracious to the ungrateful and evil. Be merciful, just as your Father also is merciful." Luke 6:35-36

"All those led by God's Spirit are God's sons." Romans 8:14

"But the wisdom from above is first pure, then peace-loving, gentle, compliant, full of mercy and good fruits, without favoritism and hypocrisy. And the fruit of righteousness is sown in peace be those who cultivate peace." James 3:17-18

"Look at how great a love the Father has given us that we should be called God's children. and we are! The reason the world does not know us is that it didn't know Him." 1 John 3:1

Peace is a choice. Peace is a prayer.

"But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faith, gentleness, self-control." Galatians 5:22-23a

"Don't worry about anything, but in everything, through prayer and petition with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God which surpasses every thought, will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus." Philippians 4:6-7

Walking in peace means being prompt to apologize. It's fixing your eyes on Christ and what cannot be seen, but believing in His greater cause. It's being ready to find resolution and sometimes that is simply by taking a step back and spending time in prayer. It's stepping in when called and praying with others. When we have two friends who are at a stand off, we don't take sides. We bring them together through prayer and allow God to do His work. We limit God when we step in without first seeking His will and purpose for us.

In taking time reading through the Beatitudes and writing about each one separately, God has shown me great wisdom. I feel as though I have been washed with a refreshing new look at scripture. It is my prayer that you too will take some time and study each one. God's blessings are pouring out of His Word.


AddToAny

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...