Monday, July 23, 2012

Through A Holy Hush Comes Peace

"So then, my beloved brethern, let every man be swift to hear, slow to speak, slow to wrath; for the wrath of man does not produce the righteousness of God."
James 1:19-20

"In the multiude of words sin is not lacking, but he who restrains his lips is wise."
Proverbs 10:19

"He who has knowledge spares his words, and a man of understanding is of a calm spirit. Even a fool is counted wise when he holds his peace; when he shuts his lips, he is considered perceptive."
Proverbs 17:27-28

"A quick tempered man acts foolishly, and a man of wicked intentions is hated."
Proverbs 14:17



Have you ever been steaming and ready to blow like a tea kettle? More like an erupting volcano. You know what I'm saying, right? A situation occurs. Someone says something totally out of line. Your hurt. You feel attacked. Assaulted. Sometimes it isn't even an action so much. Not even words. It can be a look that is intended to set you blazing.

Sadly, I have been there. I try with all my might to hold it in, but that anger begins to ooze and then I erupt and blow my top. I think we can all relate to some degree. We get angry. We get down right mad. The question is, what do we do about it?

First, I am learning to step back and breathe. Just don't assume that look holds all we think it means. When that attack comes we don't have to fling words back and find ourselves in horror later. The thing is, we don't have to bite back. Prayer is mighty powerful and can bring peace through a quiet and prayerful heart. We too must remember, hurting people, hurt people. That isn't an excuse, just a fact. Prayer is needed in our daily lives. For our heart and for the hearts of those we will confront on every level.

We can either stand a make a fool out of ourselves or we can bring honor to the Lord in our reaction. Here's the thing. Someone is always watching. What about that one person who happens to see us blow our top? Sure, we might be able to explain the other person's actions, but what about ours? Is there really ever an excuse to raise our voices in anger? I have learned it doesn't really gain much in the battle. Usually it only makes that other person yell louder and then you have yourself a fighting match going no where fast. Although it's going no where, it's taking down a lot of people. It's like a tornado leaving destruction in it's path.

Why do we get mad in the first place? We have either not gotten our way or we don't like how something is going. We feel offended. Well, when it comes down to it, anger is really a ME problem. Our anger is like a cancer that can grow and effect other areas in our life. Boy, I have made a complete fool of myself at times. Some of those times have been trying to prove I'm right. Gosh, does it really matter who is right? I have learned. Wait...I am learning to be humble and turn to Christ at the moment that anger begins to boil.

Even when I hold my anger in, it's not helping anyone. Especially not me. When I hold it in, that other person usually has no idea I'm angry. So, that anger is ends up eating a whole in my stomach for lunch and ripes my heart apart for dinner. Let me put it this way. Anger is part of Satan's plan. The more angry we are in life, the less Christ is being seen. The anger we carry in our heart today builds resentment for tomorrow. There isn't anything good at all that comes from anger.

When we know anger is an issue we will face, why not pray about it? Why not share with Christ it is something we struggle with and ask Him to give us strength to over come? We can be ready for the battles we face each and every day by surrendering all to Christ, including that anger. I may not be able to control another person's anger, but I can control my own. In me controlling and getting a handle on my anger, it can bring peace to a situation. After all it takes two people to have an argument.

Take time to pray and pray until you feel the Lord's peace wash over you. Don't enter that discussion again until you are ready and armed with the grace and mercy of Christ. Be ready to forgive and be willing to let it go. I suppose I must ask myself, what am I trying to gain and at the end of the day is it really going to matter for the kingdom of Christ? Am I battling for Christ? Cause He doesn't need me to fight His battles. Or am I battling for my own win? If that is the case I must humble myself and think, is it really worth it?

Sure there are times we must stand and there are times we must remain quiet. No matter the cause. Isn't peace the way to go? Aren't we going to do more good by allowing Christ to speak through us? When our actions reflect His love, it brings anger to a stand still and soon peace prevails.


AddToAny

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...