Thursday, March 22, 2012

Learning Lessons from Jairus

I have written many posts on Mark 5:25-34. It is the story about the woman of suffering for twelve long years. All this time I have missed another portion of this story. One that goes right along with the healing of this woman.

Yes, I am speaking about Jairus. How did I miss it? It's right here before my eyes. Maybe the Lord was saving this for me to uncover when I needed a reminder that He always has everything under control.

Jairus was a leader in the synagogue. His daughter became ill and was dying. He was out to find Jesus. Jesus is just stepping out of the boat and has come ashore. Jairus sees Him and quickly goes to Him. He pleads with Jesus to heal his daughter. Can you imagine this man's pain and worry? When your child is sick you will move heaven and earth for them. As a parent we must remember there is only so much we can do. The rest we must rely on Christ. Jairus was relying. He knew what faith could do. But something happens after he  tells Jesus about his daughter.

Jesus is following him. He is right behind his steps and all of a sudden, Jairus looks back and Jesus is lost in the crowd. Someone else has captured the attention of Jesus. It's a woman. One who knows suffering. This woman and the touch of His garment captures His attention. He takes His time with this woman. Isn't that a beautiful portrait of our Savior? But what about Jairus?

Jairus has almost reached his home and as he is waiting on Jesus he is told by a messenger that his daughter is dead. I cannot imagine hearing those words. Just the thought brings fresh tears to my eyes, but the story doesn't end there. Jesus arrives. Doesn't He always? We think He is late, but He is always right on time.

He says to Jairus, "Don't be afraid. Just have faith." Mark 5:36 I love this next part. Jesus brings Peter, James and John along with Him. They get closer to the home of Jairus and they hear the crying and see the commotion. Jesus speaks and says, "Why all this commotion and weeping? The child isn't dead; she's only asleep." Mark 5:39 

The crowd actually laughed at Jesus. Can you imagine? I can. I have been there before just like Thomas. Just like Sarah. Doubt can cloud my mind very quickly and take over my thoughts. What better way for Satan to take hold of our minds than fill us with doubt. We see the laughter in Mark 5:40. Jesus hears the laughter and sees the doubt on the faces before Him and in this moment He makes everyone who was there leave. He takes the mother and father and the disciples inside with Him. Jesus followed Jairus home, but now Jesus is leading them inside. Isn't that just like our Savior? He sees us when we are in need and follows us, captures our attention, so we can then follow His lead.

Jesus takes the hand of the little girl and says, "Talitha koum," which means "Little girl, get up!" Mark 5:41

Now this part really stirs my heart. She was twelve years old!! The woman who was suffering, suffered for twelve years. He brought healing to both. Coincidence? I don't think so. The number 12 is significant in the Bible. Check more about the number 12 out by clicking HERE.

Through this we can see that we should  not worry. Really, at times we worry ourselves until we are completely and utterly spent. It takes a lot of energy to worry. Why do we have such a hard time remembering Jesus has it ALL under control? When we are worrying our faith is absent. It is in faith that we know and believe that Jesus is bigger than any trouble we face. It is through each and every trial that we learn and grow in faith. I can look back through my life and see how Jesus was there in each and every moment.

He has our past, present and future in His hands. He knows what's up ahead, just as with Jairus and the amazing thing is, He is already there, my friends. He knows the need. We just have to have the faith to see it through. Can you imagine the feeling the disciples had at this moment? They had just witnessed Jesus healing two people. One twelve years old and one suffering for twelve years. No matter what we are facing Jesus is there.

Ya know, whether we are that person who sees our cup half full or half empty, we might want to remember we have a cup and it has something in it. Instead of focusing on how we see it, focus on God and our cup will always be overflowing. It's all in our perspective and if we are totally focused on Christ and not our circumstances we will always see the blessings first. We witness daily the astounding works of God. He is always at work and He is always everywhere. Only God can do that. That deserves some praise!

Faith like a mustard seed. Now that itty bitty seed grows into a GIANT tree. Doesn't happen over night. It grows as it is watered and fed. Faith is a journey. Just a little faith goes a long way and is GIANT when your facing the world. Remember little David? With faith he killed Goliath. Whatever Goliath your facing today is no challenge for a faith filled child of God!

Instead of me looking back, like Jairus, to find where the Lord is, I need to remind myself that He is already there. He knows my need before I do. His timing is perfect. Just like me reading about Jairus. I needed that reminder. I get ahead of myself and run before Jesus thinking He needs to follow me. No, I need to get out of His way so He can take the lead.

AddToAny

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...