Tuesday, January 24, 2012

It's not just who you rep, but how you rep!

When my husband was working for a company a few years back he had to wear a uniform. In that uniform he represented his company. When people saw him they knew just by the uniform who he was representing. If he did a good job that brought in more customers. If he had done his job poorly, customers would have gone and went elsewhere for their business. It wasn't just who he was representing, it was how he was representing.

When I was in high school I went to a Catholic high school. I put on my uniform every morning. Usually I wore a skirt. Now, my skirt just happened to be a little shorter than what it was suppose to be. When people saw me in that uniform they knew where I went to school. It was evident by my uniform. My actions were not always proper. I not only represented that school, I was representing God. At the time I was not doing a very good job. I was more concerned with having fun and doing what I wanted. You can't very well represent God if your motives are for yourself.

Sure, I was a kid. A teenager in fact. I wasn't even Catholic. But I still knew right from wrong and in my flesh I chose wrong instead of right. I was not only representing my school and God, but my parents. A very wise youth pastor shared with me once, "Your reputation will be made known." Those were wise words and words I have never forgotten. My reputation in no way stated that I was a good little Catholic girl, but the very opposite.

Look at Tim Tebow. Ask me today who he plays for and I couldn't tell you. I would have to ask someone. I can't give you any of his stats or even tell you where he is from. What can I tell you? He's the guy who prays before each game and each time he walks out onto the field. He's that guy who points heavenward when something good happens. His reputation is being made known.

Sure, you have people saying how we shouldn't even be talking about Tim Tebow. I think they are wrong. I think he is representing his Savior and in all the attacks, I'd say he is doing a pretty good job of it. I would hope that when people speak my name, whether they know me or not, they would say, "Oh yeah, she's that Christian girl who writes". I would hope that in my walk, that is the first thing others see.

Think about it, Moses came and he represented God. He too represented His Savior that was coming. The disciples represented Jesus as they spread the gospel. As people surrounding them witnessed their walk, they knew they walked with Christ just in their speech and in their actions. Jesus came to represent His Father in heaven. We can look to many in the Bible such as David, Danial, Paul, Ruth, Naomi, and the list goes on and on, of men and women who spent their whole lives representing God.

So, what is our motivation? Where do our words and actions take us? What are people seeing when they get a glimpse into our lives?

We should be thinking about the very things that point to the way we live our life. What do we stand for? How do we treat others? What do we wear? Where do we spend our Friday nights? During the week when we are out of our pew what would people find us doing? What would you be doing two towns from where you live if you knew no one knew you and no one really cared what you were doing?

When others see us, do they see the image of Christ? What is our image portraying?  What exactly is our life sowing?

"For the one who sows to his own flesh will from the flesh reap corruption, but the one who sows to the Spirit will from the Spirit reap eternal life."
Galatians 6:8

Everything we do we should be considering the effect it has on eternity. Remember, our lives can either bring others to Christ or turn they away from Him. What is your life saying today? Is it saying, "Come, come seek the Savior that lives in me?"

"Now the deeds of the flesh are evident, which are: immorality, impurity, sensuality, idolatry, sorcery, enmities, strife, jealousy, outbursts of anger, disputes, dissensions, factions, envying, drunkenness. carousing, and things like these, of which I forewarned you, that those who practice such things will not inherit the kingdom of God."
Galatians 5:19-21

We are to put OFF all of these things. We are to stay clear of them and we are to be so close to Christ that when these temptations enter our mind and our flesh, we should call to Him for strength to overcome them. When we are TOTALLY focused on Him we are not going to sin. It's that moment we take our eyes off of Him that we then fall into our own flesh.

Just as we are to put off those very things, there are things we are to put on and wear so that others can see Christ in us and through us.

"But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control."
Galatians 5:22

When we walk in this way we are giving others an opportunity to see Christ in action. Our bodies belong to Him. We are the temple for the Holy Spirit. We are to surrender to Him and allow Him to live through us. That calls for obedience. In that obedience we find love. A love for Him that is greater than the love we have for ourselves.

In my younger years I didn't know Christ. So therefore my actions didn't reflect Him. How could they if I didn't walk with Him? Today I do walk with my Savior. My actions should follow my talk. I should be walking the walk and talking the talk. I am a representative of God. I am called to a higher standard than this world calls for. I am to be different and to step out and beyond the walls of my flesh.

"But you did not learn Christ in this way, if indeed you have heard Him and have been taught in Him, just as truth is in Jesus, that, in reference to your former manner of life, you lay aside the old self, which is being corrupted in accordance with the lusts of deceit, and that you be renewed in the Spirit of your mind, and put on the new self, which created of God has been created in righteousness and holiness of truth."
Ephesians 4:20-24

How are we to live this new life? God gives us all we need. We are impacted with the Holy Spirit to guide us in all things and in all ways. To help us in our daily battle we must put on the armor of God. This is our protection against this world that tries to hold us down and attack us at every angle. We can read all about the armor of God in turning to Ephesians 6:10-24.

We must renew our minds daily. Sometimes from a moment to moment basis. We must be aware of our surroundings and what we allow into our lives. We must be conscience in every area. Satan knows our weak places. He knows what will trip us up. He too knows our strengths and will try to attack, but when we are ready and fully armored we have nothing to fear!


AddToAny

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...