Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Leave the light on a little longer

One of my most cherished times of the past is when my children would get so excited for bedtime. You ask, "What? Excited for bed?" Well, they knew after bath time, everyone crawled in mommy's bed for a good read. We would spend hours at the library picking out books. They would get a few they could read and pick out those that they wanted me to read to them. I remember that sweet sound of, "Momma, peeez read it again." With a smile and a joy in my heart I would read again and again.

Now, I find myself wishing we could go back to such a simple time. Such a sweet time. We turned each page and the kids would take time looking at each picture. You could just see their little minds churning. For the most part, they knew how the story ended. We had picked out books and read the same ones over and over again, but they didn't care. It was a time they loved. It was a win-win for all of us. I was filled with a joy over the moon as I read and they opened their hearts and minds to a sweet time I hope they forever remember.

As I crawled into bed last night those memories came swimming through my mind. I covered up with a smile over my face as I grabbed the book next to me and removed the book mark. It was one of those "aha" moments. I realized that this memory of mine is a very real emotion with my Savior. I just envisioned as I open my bible and turn the pages of His Word, He is overjoyed at the time we are sharing. That is a time when we grow closer. A daughter sitting on the lap of her Father as He speaks His Word to my heart. I imagine all the time I am reading, He is praying, "Please let her always remember."

I imagine my Savior has the same thoughts as me. I know He misses me when am absent from His lap. As much as we love spending time with our children, can you imagine how much more, He loves spending time with us? It's as though He is calling to me, "Rob, it's almost time for bed. You have had your whole day to yourself. Please come spend some time with Me." Can you hear Him too? We know He is calling, but yet we continue to put Him off. We place thing after thing before Him and then try to squeeze in time with Him before we close our eyes to sleep. We will open our bible and read just a bit while the yawn tears our eyes. So, instead of making more time what do we do? We shut our bible and say, "I will read in the morning", only to have the alarm go off and we shoot out of bed to start our day.

Just imagine what our day would be like if we made time for Him in the mornings. Just imagine our time sleeping if we made time for Him before the lights go out. Of course the heart of our Father breaks when we put off time spent with Him, but we too miss out. Can you here Him saying, "Don't you remember how special our time is?"

"So faith comes from hearing, that is, hearing the Good News about Christ." Romans 10:17

AddToAny

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...