Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Our Forever North

I am that girl that can find her way anywhere, but can never find my way home! Been there? I can find any mall, but after shopping? Look out, cause I am one tired girl trying to find her way home. Yes, you will see me pulled over, on the phone, asking my husband, "How do I get home from here?" You will hear him on the other end give a chuckle and then tell me how to get back on the road in the right direction.

"Not that I have already attained, or am already perfected; but I press on, that I may lay hold of that for which Christ Jesus has also laid hold of me. Brethren, I do not count myself to have apprehended; but one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind and reaching forward to those things which are ahead, I press toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus." Philippians 3:12-14

Today we have GPS which can put us right in front of our destination if we only listen to the instructions. Sometimes we think we know a better way. A quicker route. My husband is my map drawer. He can get me anywhere I need to go. Let me drive in day light I am good to go. As soon as it gets dark, I totally lose my way. Even if I have been there a thousand times I still take a wrong turn and end up some place I don't need to be.

"Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God; and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus." Philippians 4:6-7

Life can be so hard. We try so hard to follow the right path. The path the Lord has placed before us. But somehow in our stubborn minds we think we know a better way. We look for a route to get us there even faster. What happens? We end up in traffic or behind an accident. We might even end up pulled over with an officer writing us a ticket for speeding. Why can't we just slow down? Read the maps? Give the wheel to someone who knows the destination and can safely get us there?

"Your Word is a lamp unto my feet and a light to my path." Psalm 119:105

While driving and trying to stay on the road before us there are road signs at every turn telling us to turn here. Okay, do you know how hard it is to try to drive and look at all the signs? Some are flashing, some are huge and some are so small you are squinting to see the words. It is after you have passed your turn off that you finally realize where you were suppose to turn in the first place! Now you find yourself looking for a place to turn around and back track.

"Though I walk in the midst of trouble, You will revive me; You will stretch our Your hand against the wrath of my enemies, and Your right hand will save me. The Lord will perfect that which concerns me; Your mercy, O Lord, endures forever." Psalm 138:7-8a

We see people driving with their phones to their ear, putting make up on and reading books (Okay, this one might be tempting for me.lol) and eating. You might on occasion see me with my hands raised in praise. I just need to remember to keep my eyes open! We are so tempted to take our eyes off the road. When we then find ourselves crashed into the back of another car we say, "Gosh officer, I don't know how this happened."

"My son, if you receive my words, and treasure my commands within you, so that you incline your ear to wisdom, and apply your heart to understanding; Yes, if you cry out for discernment, and lift up your voice for understanding, if you seek her as silver, and search for her as for hidden treasures; Then you will understand the fear of the Lord, and find the knowledge of God. For the Lord gives wisdom; From His mouth come knowledge and understanding; He stores up sound wisdom for the upright; He is a shield to those who walk uprightly; He guards the paths of justice, and preserves the way of His saints. Then you will understand righteousness and justice, equity and every good path." Proverbs 2:1-9

Life can be so hard! At every turn something is grasping for our attention. We set out to go one way and end up on another, hitting every pot hole possible. That smooth road soon turns into gravel and we are spinning out control. Dust is flying and the wind in our hair isn't feeling so freeing any longer. The dark clouds come and now we find ourselves in a storm brewing. We have made a wrong turn and now all we want to do is go home. Find our way back to where we once stood on solid ground.

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding; In all ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct your paths." Proverbs 3:5-6

How terrible if it all ended right there. Praise the Lord there are U-turns. There are camping areas and rest stops along the way. If we have lost our way all we gotta do is get that map back out once more and follow the directions. Jesus Christ is our Forever North. Jesus always makes a way! We will never be stranded and find ourselves alone. We must drive in faith. We must believe the directions He has given us will take us to where we are to be. I have been driving in storms and have seen Him bring out a rainbow before me. I have driven through hail that beat down, but I have found shelter from the storm. I have lost my way so many times, but with Christ in my life He is always there to turn me around.

"Do not enter the path of the wicked, and do not walk in the way of evil. Avoid it, do not travel on it; Turn away from it and pass on." Proverbs 4:14-15

It's not about getting in the car and seeing how fast we go. It's slowing down long enough to enjoy the ride. I love taking long drives with my husband. He slows down to see the sights. If I sneak a peek at something pretty he will pull over. If I am setting out to go somewhere he will tell me the best way to get there. I can trust his wisdom. After all he is a professional driver. Isn't that so important? We must be able to trust those we gain our information from. Anyone can have knowledge set before them. Knowledge is everywhere. Wisdom is knowing what to do with all that knowledge.

"The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom, and the knowledge of the Holy One is understanding." Proverbs 9:10

Being young I set out on my own and went down so many wrong paths trying to find my way. It wasn't until I surrendered the keys to Christ that I finally understood, it's not my way, but His. He knows the road the before me. Who better to ask for directions?

"He who walks with wise men will be wise, but the companion of fools will be destroyed." Proverbs 13:20

My son is now trying to find his way. He has made some wrong turns and listened to some wrong advice. Praise the Lord we are a work in progress. All it takes is one wrong turn to destroy our lives. One wrong turn usually leads to another. Jesus can find us on that path. He can bring us back into His will and way if we only allow Him to lead. Max Lucado says, "A man who wants to lead the orchestra must turn his back on the crowd." There are times in life we will have to turn away from the path we are on and look toward our Forever North. He will turn us around and plant our feet on solid ground, getting us off that road that curves forever. Ever find yourself car sick? Ugh, that is the worst feeling ever. All you want is for the car to stop, get out and get some fresh air. Pour yourself a cool drink and just sit. Jesus is that cool drink. He is that safe place where we can stop and stay a while until we are able to set out once more.

"Deliver me, O Lord, from my enemies; In You I take shelter. Teach me to do Your will, for You are my God; Your Spirit is good. Lead me in the land of uprightness." Psalm 143:9-10

AddToAny

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...