Monday, March 21, 2011

Little feet, big shoes

"Therefore be imitators of God as dear children. And walk in love, as Christ also has loved us and given Himself for us, an offering and a sacrifice to God for a sweet-smelling aroma." Ephesians 5:1-2

Wow, I can remember when my children mimicked every gesture I made. Every word they would repeat. They would place their tiny feet in my shoes and try to hard to walk in them. They would tumble over, but you know what? That never stopped them. They got right back up and moved forward with each tiny step.

"He who walks with wise men will be wise, but the companion of fools will be destroyed." Proverbs 13:20

Oh, the sweetness of child-like love. Nothing can stop it. They are not hindered by anything. They reach for the moon. They count the stars. They run like there is no tomorrow. They live a crazy love that is catching to all around them. You cannot be within the company of a child without laughter. Laughter that comes from a simple joy. A God given joy that surpasses all.

"Behold, children are a heritage from the Lord, the fruit of the womb is a reward." Psalm 127:3

I pick up my grand daughter, Peyton, and one of the first things I notice is how sweet she smells. I see that smile that is all love. I can only pray one day she will look to her grandma and be proud and want to be like her. I think that is every mother's dream. A hope that their children and grand children will see them with love and kindness. Remembering their words and encouragement that was filled with wisdom.

"Her children rise up and call her blessed; Her husband also, and he praises her." Proverbs 31:28

What we do in moderation our children will do in excess. That should make us want to strive to be the best we can be. They are imitators of what they see. It is as though we are a walking billboard. What we are proclaiming should be Godly character. We should be walking with integrity so they too will have much to imitate as we walk as our Savior is calling us.

"Train up a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not depart from it." Proverbs 22:6

Are we? Are we imitating God? Are we looking upon His life and walking in accordance to His will and way? He gives us a perfect picture of how to live. We simply must make the daily choice to turn to Him. Will we ever walk in complete perfectness? No, not on our own, but with Him we are perfect in every way. With His presence in our life we are complete in Him and in Him alone. He makes all the difference.

"See then that you walk circumspectly, not as fools but as wise, redeeming the time, because the days are evil." Ephesians 5:15

It is so easy to take our eyes off God and place them on the examples of this world. This world tells us to be one way as God is pointing us in another direction. We must make the choice to leave this world behind and remember we are not our own. We were bought with a price and we are to be examples to others. When our children look to us what do they see? Do they see someone they admire and strive to be? May we knock ourselves out working toward becoming that person God has created us to be.

"Be diligent to present yourself approved to God, a worker who does not need to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth." 2 Timothy 2:15

Ever go shoe shopping with a friend? I have a girlfriend who is as crazy over shoes as I am purses. You should see her at a shoe sale. Watch out!! lol  Through our life we will try on many shoes. Some will be really cute, but they will leave blisters. You soon find out if they are made for walking. Each pair is different and we all have our own style. The thing is, you keep shopping until you find the shoe with the perfect fit! You put your foot in and you know, "This is the one." I have a pair of cowboy boots like this. They were a gift from my husband. As soon as I placed my feet in them it was like I was walking on a cloud. They were perfect in every way. God is that perfect it. He is the One. If we keep our eyes upon Him we will never find ourselves lost in the steps of another.

"Set your mind on things above, not on things on the earth." Colossians 3:2

I pray my legacy will live in my children. It is my hope that when they hear the voice of their momma they will hear praises, songs of joy and wisdom that the Lord has placed in my heart. I pray that they remember my bible was always open and the Word of God present and alive in my life. Above all else, I pray they see the Lord through my life. A life that will encourage them to follow the Lord and be all He has created them to be. Leaving behind a legacy for their children and their children's children.

"Children's children are the crown of old men, and the glory of children is their father." Proverbs 17:6

AddToAny

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...