Friday, March 18, 2011

Keep teaching me, Lord

You know the term, "I know, I know..." Oh, how many times I have heard these words from my children, but on the flip side, oh, how many times I have said them myself. We seem to think we know an awful lot don't we? When it comes down to it, what do we really know? Enough to know we need to learn more.

"Listen to counsel and receive instruction, that you may be wise in your latter days." Proverbs 19:20

In teaching Junior High kids in our Awana program you get those kids that sit before you wide eyed and eager to learn. Then you have those who look at you as though they want to ask, "Why are you telling me this? I know it already." Oh, how I wish they too could get it. I wish I could get it. I am learning the less I say the more I learn. The more I learn, the more I share. It is a progress of growth. Maturing is really understanding how little we do know and how greater our lives can be if we will just take the time to listen a little more and talk a little less.

"For You will light my lamp; The Lord my God will enlighten my darkness." Psalm 18:28

I look back at the disciples as they followed Christ. He is teaching them and at times they are so confused. They have a hard time understanding. So, He takes His time and teaches them through stories He knows they will understand. I just wonder what kind of a disciple I would have made then. Would I have been one who listened to every word and got it the first time? Most likely I would have been that wanderer off on my own trying to figure it all out. Then when I messed up I would find myself at the feet of Jesus asking Him to explain. How do I know? Because that is how I am now. Yes, this humble girl finds herself at the feet of Jesus asking Him to repeat it once more.

"But be doers of the Word, and not hearers only, deceiving yourselves. For if anyone is a hearer of the Word and not a doer, he is like a  man observing his natural face in a mirror; for he observes himself, goes away, and immediately forgets what kind of man he was." James 1:22-23

I can sit in church on the edge of my seat at times. Writing down every word being said. I can search God's Word for hours, but when a problem occurs I find myself once again off on my own trying to do it my way. Of course I know how it should be done, right? I am a mother. I have learned a few things. The Lord probably wants to hit me over the head more often than not. I can imagine Him shaking His head and saying, "Daughter, have I not taught you?" Well yes, but I thought this way was better. Lord help! I know there are others out there. You know who you are. We want something done. We want a problem fixed and we want it fixed now. We think. No, we know how to fix it if everyone would just listen to us! LOL Can you hear the laughter? You know the Lord just has to sit up there and laugh at us sometimes. I mean we do laugh at our own children, right?

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding; In all your ways acknowledge Him, And He will direct your paths. Do not be wise in your own eyes; Fear the Lord and depart from evil. It will be health to your flesh and strength to your bones." Proverbs 5-8

We all learn in different ways and we learn at different levels. We are all on the same walk, just different paths. Amazingly as long as we are following Christ they all lead to Him. We can't expect another to understand everything we do. In fact, many times we can't understand others until we too have walked in their shoes. And yes, I mean walking, not just trying them on and taking them off. Walking the miles they have walked in their blistered, hurting feet. Jesus can understand us because He has walked in our shoes. He knows each path by heart and His wisdom is from God Himself. Why can't we simply listen to His Word?

"For the Word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword, piercing even to the division of soul and spirit, and of joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart." Hebrews 4:12

Oh sure, we hear it. We read it, but do we live it? Being a Christian is so much more than walking through church doors on Sunday. That's the easy part. The hard part comes when we walk out those very doors we entered wanting changed hearts. The problem comes when the Lord wants to begin the change. Sometimes that change hurts. Sometimes that change comes through trial and circumstance.

"He has shown you, O man, what is good; and what does the Lord require of you, but to do justly, to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God?" Micah 6:8

My mom always said I was hard headed and she knew just where I got it from. My dad. Isn't it funny, it always comes from the other parent unless of course it's something wrapped in a blessing? I love how the Lord teaches. He doesn't give up. He never throws in the towel and says, enough. He keeps trying to grab my attention and He will go to whatever means He must to bring me back around. Just as it was then when I was a child, it is now my fault when I choose not to listen.

"Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God; and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus." Philippians 4:6-7

Look at the Israelites. They followed. They left. They followed. They left. We still do the same today. Life would be so much easier if we would just listen before we speak. Look up before we leap. Pray before we get in too deep.

"Likewise the Spirit also helps in our weaknesses. For we do not know what we should pray for as we ought, but the Spirit Himself makes intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered." Romans 8:26

The Lord gives us all the wisdom we need in His Word. His Word is alive and breathing in us as we place each Word He gives in our heart. We can go to Proverbs for wisdom and Psalms for comfort. We can look at the lives before us in His Word and see the steps others took. We can see how they fell and what we need to do to make sure we don't. We too can find His grace and mercy wrapped in love in each page as we read the greatest love letter of all.

"I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that you present your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable to God, which is your reasonable service. And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God." Romans 12:1-2

We spend so much time searching everywhere for life's answers. Just what if we stopped going other places first and sought out God with all our heart first? What if we were still and waited for His answer? What if I began each day in His Word and picked it up before a problem came? He always leads us to the truth. He leads us to the wisdom we will need for the day. We can always find our way if we seek Him first.

"Be still, and know that I am God; I will be exalted among nations, I will be exalted in the earth!" Psalm 46:10

Knowledge is knowing information. Wisdom is having the understanding of what to do with the knowledge. God's Word is the only place where we find true wisdom.

Lord, may I seek Your face daily. May I stop searching every place, but You for wisdom. May I seek You with my whole heart and live according to Your Word and may You teach me and fill my life with all You have for me. Forgive this girl who is forever learning the same lessons over again. Open my eyes to Your Word and way and allow me to understand what You have for me.

AddToAny

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...