Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Overactive or underactive? Which are you?

As I have been battling my thyroid levels the thoughts in my mind have been churning for the past few days. Now, I do not have a thyroid. Had surgery to remove it about five years ago. For the most part it has been under control, but as I find out this week, my thyroid is overactive and wow can just the slightest difference throw your body off. Not just your body, but your mind.

Your thyroid is confusing to say the least. High means low and low means high. See, are you confused yet? Many are blessed to have a normal thyroid and when it's normal your body functions just as it is suppose to. It is amazing how just one little organ in our body can control so much. At least now I have answers as to why I have not been feeling well.

So, I began comparing overactive and under active in my walk with Christ. Can we really be overactive in our walk? I believe we can to a point if we lose our focus. I remember a time in my life where I didn't say no to anyone. I was so busy with my children, my husband and home life, plus all the activities I just kept jumping into. I ran myself ragged until I was so overactive in being involved with everything that I lost my focus on just why I was involved in the first place. We can be busy and be busy with everything we want to be busy with, that sometimes we can lose Christ in there in the midst of all the running. Isn't it funny how we make time fore everything we want? Oh, we can lose our appetite in our quest to serve everyone. We can begin to lose parts of ourselves when we are so concerned with others. We can be filled with anxiety trying to meet deadlines and fill every one's needs. We can become irritable also, just trying to run here and there, trying to catch up. Sometimes it can turn into trying to please others instead of following what Christ has for us. Ever pray before you accept an invite to an activity? When we are overactive in activities something has to give and usually it our personal relationship with Christ that suffers. For me, I believe to pray and take upon the gifts the Lord has given with great responsibility and not get so involved in every function that we miss out on the purpose of the one we began. Remember, it can soon become about us when in fact it is always about Christ.

Now, on the other hand, can we be under active? We sure can. We can sit in church every Sunday and expect the church to serve us, never moving in prayer to see if the Lord is calling us to service. In being under active we too make it about us. Like I said before, we are busy with what we want to be busy with. But, we are to be servants of the Lord. He has given each of us gifts. Gifts to bring glory and honor to Him. Do you ever quiet the Spirit when He is asking you to move in an area? Oh, I think we have all been there, afraid to move, afraid to fail, afraid to jump in. But when the Lord is asking us to be involved in an area and serve He will equip us with all the wisdom, knowledge and strength for the job. Yes, some of those jobs look mighty big, but we can do it with Christ leading the way. Too many times we sit on the sidelines expecting everyone else to do the job. Oh, we can become so hungry for we are not getting enough food.  We too can become fatigued in doing nothing. If we are not allowing the Lord to fill us, we lose interest. How easy is it to skip church after we have missed a few Sundays? That pew is not to be a permanent seat for our behinds, but a place for us to pray and listen for the Lord's call. To move when asked by Him and to serve in areas where He has blessed us. When we are under active we too are neglecting our relationship with Christ. I don't believe we can listen intently to Him and keep turning away from service. After all, Christ was a Servant, just as He is calling us to serve.

My point? Move when you hear from the Lord. Don't take a position just to be with your friends or to receive a pat on the back. As humans we do that, you know? We tend to make it about us. We like to say, "Look at all I am doing"? Then we tend to complain because there is so much work and no one is helping out. Sound like your church? The church is God's people. Each person in church has gifts to share. It's when we step out on our own that many times we take that away from another, another who is being called by God to fill a position of service. One who is not going to complain, but be filled with joy. God isn't impressed with all we are doing. He wants to impress upon us His heart to serve and share our gifts. He wants us to step back and allow Him to shine. He wants us to give Him all the glory.

I love how the Lord can speak to us through anything that touches our life. We must be accountable to Him daily, minute by minute at times. We must listen with willing hearts and be humble enough to step back to give another the service they were called to fill. After all, it is all about Him. May we check ourselves and see just where we are are on our walk. It is when we are in the center of Christ that we are healthy in our relationship with Him.

Matthew 6:24 "No one can serve two masters; for either he will hate one and love the other, or else he will be loyal to one and despise the other. You cannot serve God and mammon."

Matthew 6:33 "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things will be added to you."

Colossians 3:23-24 "And whatever you do, do it heartily, as to the Lord and not to men, knowing that from the Lord you will receive the reward of the inheritance; for you serve the Lord Christ.

AddToAny

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...