Thursday, September 30, 2010

Really, grace is for me too?

"Then the Criminal said, 'Jesus, remember me when you enter your kingdom.' Jesus said, 'Don't worry, I will. Today you will join Me in paradise.'" Luke 23:4

We often say that grace is unmerited favour. A gift we do not deserve. A gift given in perfect love. So, why are we forever trying to earn it? God's grace isn't something we earn, it is a precious gift He gives along with mercy to move us to greater things and to fill us with all we need. You cannot separate grace and mercy. God's grace covers all. It is the ultimate gift. Grace is action. It is God coming to our side through those moments we think we are not going to be able to take another step. A more accurate definition of God's grace is the working of His life in us. James 4:6 "But He gives more grace. Therefore He says: God resists the proud, but gives grace to the humble." It is through grace that Christ moves in us and changes our hearts.

Our need for grace is different for each of us. On a particular day I might need an extra dose of grace to help me through the anger I feel. Through the loss I am facing. God does not bestow more grace upon one than He does another, but He gives the perfect grace to each of us. He is no respecter of persons. He does not love one more than another. He loves each of us as if we were His only child. 

I saw a question today in my devotional, "Good Morning Lord", by Sheila Walsh that asked, "In what ways are you still trying to measure up to God's gift of grace?" What a question to ponder. It is one I am taking great pause over. It is one I do not want to just think about for a minute and let go, I want to understand why I am forever trying to earn a grace that my Savior has given me.

Is it that I wonder why God would love this girl? Is it me wondering why would He want to forgive me of my past? Is it me just assuming again? Yes, yes, and yes! In me trying to earn God's grace I am taking all He is away from the gift. I am in turn making it all about me and not about Him! God created beauty in me. He created me with wonder. Psalm 139:14 "I will praise You for I am fearfully and wonderfully made; Marvelous are Your works, and that my soul knows very well."

God giving me grace has nothing to do with my abilities or what I can give Him. It's all about what He is willing to give me and what I am willing to accept. It's about life with possibility. 2 Corinthians 12:9 "And He said to me, 'My grace is sufficient for you, for My strength is made perfect in weakness.'" No matter what has touched my life, His grace is enough. He too can give me the peace when I cannot understand what is happening in my life. I can trust Him, knowing in every need, He is there. Ephesians 2:8-10 "For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast. For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand that we should walk in them."

I cannot save myself from this world. I am covered in sin and it is His blood that washes me clean. It is His grace that covers me in love and forgiveness. In me trying to work for that gift is making it less valuable. Grace is precious. There is nothing greater. No value can surpass it. Am I worthy? No, in my flesh I am not worthy to stand next to my Savior, but through Him, through His love, through His forgiveness and grace, He and only He makes me worthy to accept His precious gift. That is the wonder of it all. I am not worthy, but He makes me worthy. We often don't think God's grace can reach us because of our past, our failures and our imperfections. With grace we have the ability to overcome. We leave our past behind, forgiven and we find redemption in grace. We will never be perfect, but we can strive to find perfection in Christ, by allowing His life to shine through ours.

He has bestowed gifts upon me and each of us to use for His glory. They are not to be used to earn His love. There is nothing attached to His love, but Him giving Himself freely to a sinner in need of grace. See, in God's grace He is not expecting me to be something I am not. I accept His grace in knowing I can be all He has for me through Him and only Him. His love is enough. His grace is enough. Nothing more is needed.  It isn't my good deeds that saves me, but God's grace inviting me to His salvation. It is letting go of self, all control I think I have. Galatians 2:20 "I have been crucified with Christ; it is no longer I who live, but Christ who lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself to me."
Romans 3:23-26 "For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, being justified freely by His grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus whom God set forth as a propitiation by His blood, through faith, to demonstrate His righteousness, because in His forbearance God had passed over the sins that were previously committed, to demonstrate at the present time His righteousness, that He might be just and the justifer of the one who has faith in Jesus."
Romans 6:23 "For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord."

No more am I living for me, but in accepting His grace I am making it all about Him. He makes it all about me! What a wonderful God we have. No matter what is happening in my life, He is forever without a doubt washing me with His grace and favour. So much in life just keeps changing. Life changes us. God is forever the same. His grace is the same grace that washes everyone who accepts Him.

Philippians 4:6-7 "Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God; and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus." In God's grace we can find comfort. We can find that when we give Him everything, He will meet our needs, as unique as they are, He knows each one. There is nothing we must face alone in this world. Whatever is reaching your door today, you can be sure that when that door opens the Lord is going to be there greeting you with all you need to face not only today, but tomorrow.

Philippians 4:13 "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." I can do this with God's grace. You know when you were a child and you just were not feeling good? What was it your mother did? She might have placed a warm blanket upon you, covering you, making you feel secure and safe. As she brought out that bowl of chicken noodle soup and gave you a soft drink, you knew without a doubt you were taken care of in love. Grace is that warm blanket that covers our fears, and the unknowns of the day. It is that love that brings us through and allows us to overcome.

Philippians 4:19 "And my God shall supply all your need according to His riches in glory by Christ Jesus." We can be full knowing Christ is going to supply each need. Whether you are without a job today Christ is with you and will see you through. He will meet your needs. If you are facing a test today and waiting upon the answer, God is there to hold your hand and give you the strength to face the moments with assurance in His promises. If you are broken hearted, hurting, or just simply having a hard time making it through the day with all you are facing, God is there. Accept His grace. Simply open your heart and allow the grace to overflow..

AddToAny

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...