Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Get off that stationary bike!

Stationary= Fixed in a station, course, or mode: immobile. Unchanging in condition.
Have you ever rode a stationary bike? You can peddle for hours, feel tired, feel as though you worked out, but never go anywhere. I must say I never liked riding a stationary bike. It was just so boring to me. You might get a good workout, but I prefer the sun shine. I prefer the fresh air and the beautiful sights outdoors while riding. I have to be honest and say, it has been a long time since I road a bike, but as a kid, it was my favorite thing to do. You could go across our little town. You could visit a friend. Ride to softball practice, or just enjoy the fresh air. I could ride all day and never grow tired of peddling down the street. It didn't matter if I was going up hill or down hill, I could go free hand, stand on the seat. I could even carry a friend on the back. A bike is just one of those amazing gifts of childhood we should never out grow. We should continue in that same manner as we did as a kid.

We get so lazy today. Everything is at our feet. We don't even have to go out of our home if we don't want to. Everything is easy. We just get on the computer or text. We can shop on line, pay our bills and even order take out. How much lazier could we possibly be?

We get so stationary in life. I know I do. I would rather just stay in that one spot, that easy spot, in the safety of my own home than get out there and let the wind blow through my hair and take a chance of falling.

I can think of Peter and Paul. They lived their lives without fear. Change came daily. They never knew what the next day was going to bring. They lived in faith and that was enough. Did they fall? They sure did. They took routes that took them away from the road they should be on, but the Lord brought them right back on track. Once on track, they peddled and peddled with an endurance that left a legacy for others to follow.

We see Peter. We know he denied Christ three times. We know Christ told him he loved him three times after. We know that Christ had three spikes driven in His hands and feet to show the world there is no denying Him. Once Peter realized he fell off his bike, Christ didn't leave him there bleeding. He picked him up. He carried him until he could walk on his own again. Christ was not stationary in Peter's life.

Look at Paul. He was once Saul, the feared man of Christians. He couldn't be trusted for the longest time after He became Paul. Christ changed this man. He gave him a new life. He gave him new meaning. He picked this man who fell up and washed him clean. Paul didn't remain stationary. He walked wherever Christ called him to go. He gave his life for his Savior.

I can only hope I would never deny my God. But do I really know for sure I wouldn't? I can say I would never deny Him, but so did Peter. Peter never thought he would deny his brother, his God, his Savior. But he did. He chose to walk away. I can only hope this new life Christ has given me will only continue to grow. If I am beaten, bruised, imprisoned, I pray I will never turn from God, but will keep moving, keep believing and keep witnessing His name.

It is when I am stationary that I seem to lose my way. I get lazy and bored. It is in those changing times, those times in which I cannot see past right now, that I find Christ there, waiting, leading and motivating me forward. I want my walk with Him to be just as I am riding along as the wind is blowing, peddling fast up those hills and coasting down those slippery slops. I want to live in freedom. I want to live with a smile on my face daily. I want to see the beauty before me, stop and take a close look, getting right back on and seeing what is next in life for me.

God doesn't want me to be a lazy Christian. Is there even such a thing? I don't think so. I don't think they can be combined. I am either one or the other. I must choose to live just in my own little box, or step outside and experience all God has for me.

Where are you? Are you ready to ride? I want to ride with determination. I want to ride with a joy that can only come from loving each moment like there is no tomorrow.

Matthew 26:34-35 "Jesus said to him, 'Assuredly, I say to you that this night, before the rooster crows, you will deny Me three times'. Peter said to Him, 'Even if I have to die with You, I will not deny You!' And so said all the disciples."

Matthew 26:69-75 "Now Peter sat outside in the courtyard. And a servant girl came to him, saying, you also were with Jesus of Galilee. But he denied it before them all, saying, I do not know what you are saying. And when he had gone out to the gateway, another girl saw him and said to those who were there, This fellow also was with Jesus of Nazareth. But again he denied with an oath, I do not know the Man! And a little later those who stood by came up and said to Peter, Surely you also are one of them, for your speech betrays you. Then he began to curse and swear, saying I do not know the Man! Immediately a rooster crowed. And Peter remembered the word of Jesus who had said to him, Before the rooster crows, you will deny Me three times. So he went out and wept bitterly."

John 21:15-19 "So when they had eaten breakfast, Jesus said to Simon Peter, Simon, son of Jonah, do you love Me more than these? He said to Him, Yes, Lord; You know that I love You. He said to him, feed My lambs. He said to him again a second time, Simon, son of Jonah, do you love Me? He said to Him, Yes, Lord, You know that I love You. He said to him, tend My sheep. He said to him a third time, Simon, son of Jonah, do you love Me? Peter was grieved because He said to him the third time, Do you love Me? And he said to Him, Lord, You know all things; You know that I love You. Jesus said to him, Feed My sheep. Most assuredly, I say to you, when you were younger, you girded yourself and walked where you wished; but when you are old, you will stretch out your hands, and another will gird you and carry you where you do not wish. This He spoke, signifying by what death he would glorify God. And when He had spoken this, He said to him, Follow Me."

In Acts 8 we see that Saul persecuted the church. We see in Chapter 9 that on the road to Damascus Saul is converted. His life is changed forever. He is no longer stationary, but he will continue to move for the Lord until his last day of life. In 8:6 we see Saul changed and moving for God: "So he, trembling and astonished, said, Lord what do You want me to do? Then the Lord said to him, Arise and go into the city, and you will be told what you must do."

Romans 12:1-2 "I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that you present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable to God, which is your reasonable service. And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God."

In my stationary life I am not going to go anywhere. It may feel like it,but I need to remove myself from myself and allow the Lord to live through me. Whatever road He takes me down, I must be willing to go. Whatever He calls me to do, I must be that willing vessel. My friends it is time to get off that stationary life and start moving for the Lord toward a life with no regrets!

AddToAny

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...