Thursday, July 29, 2010

THURSDAY'S SCRIPTURE

Colossians 3:20 "Children, always obey your parents, for this please the Lord."
Ephesians 6:1-3 "Children, obey your parents because you belong to the Lord, for this is the right thing to do." Honor your father and mother. This is the first commandment with a promise: If you honor your father and mother, things will go well for you, and you will have a long life on the earth."

As I sit down at my mother's house this morning, away from my home, my computer, I sit here writing for Thursday's Scripture. As I read God's word about honoring your parents this just speaks volumes to me today.

As my mother went to the emergency room last Thursday, and then again on Friday to finally be admitted, my life completely did a 180. I could even say a 360! My life completely belongs to taking care of her right now. Nothing else is above that for me. Everything I do ends and my focus is shifted to her. Now, before you go thinking, "How sweet. What a wonderful daughter", I must be honest and share I struggle in selfishness. Those selfish thoughts just enter in and seem to want to make a bed and stay there over night. I find myself thinking of all the things I need to do, all the things I want to do and all the plans I have. I think we all struggle with our flesh daily, right?

The Lord forever is teaching me that my life is not my own. I belong to Him, therefore, I serve Him in every way, every area of my life. That includes giving up myself to serve my mother. It has been a long weekend and here as I write this I am tired, weary and even scared. My mother cannot be left alone for one minute. Twenty-one medications to give her. Twenty-one! She sleeps, she wakes in pain and everything is a struggle for her.

Praise the Lord my daughter, Whitney, is able to help. She is going to school, working and planning a wedding,as well as building a house, but she is there when she can be and that is a great help. I know if I am not well, if my Fibro takes a hold of me or a migraine comes from being overly tired, I will not be any good for my mom. So it's important for me to try to take care of myself.

It's funny, our parents sacrifice and care for us. They care for our every need growing up. From protecting us deep within the womb, to the day we leave to go venture out on our own. But even then their care and love does not end. My mother continues to give and love daily without even thinking about it. But here I am now. The tables are turned. I am now sacrificing for my mom, just as she did for me. I have dropped everything to be by her side. This may take a week, a few months, or even a year, but I am here, doing what I can.

Sometimes it feels like a lot and others not enough. I pray for her healing. I pray for strength. But then anything I pray for love. I want my mother to know she is loved. She is not a burden. I want her to know how special she is. I want the best care for her. Doesn't she deserve that? I want her to be honored and treated with dignity. She is such a humble woman. She has let go of any pride she once carried. She is totally dependent on others. I know that must take much away from her. That is why it is important to be joyful and refreshed when I am with her. I ant her to know it is an honor and a privilege to care for her.

I know there was much in her life she gave up for me. I know there were days out or evening planned that without a doubt or hesitation she canceled for me. Should she have any less from the daughter she raised?

In Ephesians and Colossians God calls us to honor our parents. He calls us to obey our parents. If I am honoring and obeying Him I too will honor and obey my mother. I find it beautiful that this is the first commandment with a promise. God calls us to honor, obey and serve our parents. But God takes that command even further. He adds a promise. 3"If you honor your father and mother, things will go well for you, and you will have a long life on the earth." Isn't it just like God to bless us just for obeying? What a great and mighty God we have.

When I see this verse and take in all in means, to me, it says love. It doesn't mention life to be perfect for us, but well. when we love our parents and honor them it leaves us filled with love. It covers us with a feeling of peace and contentment. I am not sure if that means we will live to be one hundred years old. I gotta be honest and say, "I pray the Lord returns before this body turns one hundred!!" To me, I carry away that in my relationship with my mother life will be well. No matter how long or short the time we have together will be blessed. When we not only obey God, but our parents, it seems love is everlasting. We are adding to a legacy. Their legacy. Love covers all. If I am good with the Lord, have peace with my mother, no matter what life brings I have the promise that all will be well, and life on earth no matter how long will be fulfilling and one with no regrets.

So, I will continue to honor and care for my mom as the Lord teaches me to die to myself daily.

Thank You Lord for giving me the mother and father You chose just for me. I praise You for each day I had with my dad and each one left with my mom. Watch over her. Keep Your hands upon her, bringing healing, comfort and washing her with Your everlasting grace.

AddToAny

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...