Thursday, June 24, 2010

THURSDAY'S SCRIPTURE

When I was a little girl I imitated everything my daddy did. Yes, when he was in the bathroom shaving, I was sitting next to him on the sink. As he shaved with his razor, he would give me a small comb to use after he put that amazing whipped cream in my hands. That is what I called his shaving cream. You know, that really does feel nice on your face. When my dad would wake at 4am for work each day, I would wake with him, sit down at the kitchen table and eat a fried egg sandwich, with mustard on it, topped with bacon. Of course, he would leave for work, and I would head back to bed with my tummy full. My dad was my hero when I was young. I thought he could conquer the world. He was bigger than life, and I wanted to be just like him.
When our daughter was young, she loved shoes. If there were a pair of shoes left out, her little feet were going in them. And she too would put on her daddies shoes, and try to take his huge steps. She was indeed his shadow. Ever play that shadow game? Absolutely loved my shadow when I was little. I had a vivid imagination, and for a bit, my shadow was my best friend.

I could find myself talking to my children, and here they are mimicking everything I say. You know that game. "It's time for bed." "It's time for bed." Every word is mimicked back, and every action is a replay of your own. Children have a way of mimicking their parents. What we do in moderation, our children will do in excess. When they are small they love to follow their parents. They even pretend to be little mommas and daddies, with babies of their own. Ever catch your daughter speaking to her baby saying something you would say to her? Oh, the mouths of babes. The speak what they hear, and they walk in the steps before them.

We should be great examples for our children to follow. Even when we are not at our best, we can show them grace. When we have just made a huge mistake, we can show them humbleness. When have acted wrongly, we can teach them forgiveness. We are not perfect, but through Christ we are perfect in every way. That brings me to the scripture for today. It is found in Ephesians 5:1-2 "Imitate God, therefore, in everything you do, because you are His dear children. Live a life filled with love, following the example of Christ. He loved us and offered Himself as a sacrifice for us, a pleasing aroma to God."

Just as I loved imitating my earthly father, I too should be walking in the steps of my heavenly Father. Just as I looked in the mirror when I was young, seeing my father before me, today, even though he is gone, I can look in the mirror and still see him. I have all his features, and still carry his mannerisms. I remember others saying, "Wow, you can tell your your daddies girl." That is what I want others to say about my heavenly Father today. I want others to see me, and know that I am His girl, His daughter, living before Him as in a mirror image, trying to mimic each step of His.

In everything I do I should try to imitate Him. Just as we make sacrifices when our children are young so they will have an even better life than we had, Jesus made the greatest sacrifice of all. He gave His life that I might have life. There is no greater gift. When others see me, I want them to see Jesus. It says, "In everything", that is not just some things, the things we are comfortable with, but everything! We will never fill the shoes of Jesus, but we can try to walk in His steps, following each word, each action and allowing our lives to be a reflection of His. When we look in the mirror, it is He that we should see. We should be living in such a way that those around us, well, they know there is something different, and they will see a different love, a kindly face, and a heart willing to sacrifice for his neighbor.

There is no greater manuscript for us to pick up and try to mimic. As we place God's word in our hands, reading each line, we need to be willing to let go of ourselves, and totally allow Him to live through us. That is the only way we are going to fill that part. His dreams should be our dreams, and His ways should be our ways in every sense of life. WWJD (what would Jesus do) is us asking ourselves in every situation, "What would my Father do here?" We need advice, let's go to our Father. We need help, may we turn to His unconditional love. When we have messed up, well, may we humbly go to Him, listening to His voice comfort us, and at times disciplining us in love.

I remember some of the best times of being a mother was sitting on that bed as my daughters asked me questions, advice, and just chatted. My son still today comes to me with questions, and just wants to share what is on his heart. That lights my day as a mother to know my children come to me. It is no different with our heavenly Father. He wants to be there for us. He wants that relationship where we go to Him for everything, just chatting, sharing our deepest dreams, our scariest fears, and those moments of joy where we are about to burst.

Today is a new day, yesterday is gone, and right here before me is life waiting to be lived. I want to live it in such a way that one day I hear my Father say, "Well done, by faithful daughter." Just as I so loved to hear my daddy tell me how proud he was of me, I long to hear those words from Jesus, my heavenly Father.

Lord, may I walk in Your steps today. May I live my life in such a way today that as You walk before me, I am Your shadow, imitating each step before me. Lead the way before me Lord, shine Your light, guide the way for Your daughter to follow in word and in deed.

AddToAny

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...