Saturday, April 24, 2010

what does today mean to you?

Lately I have found myself in the midst of others wisdom through their quotes. These words of wisdom not only fill us with knowledge, but they leave behind a legacy of those who spoke them. Here is one I found today that really shouted out to me.
"This is the beginning of a new day. God has given me this day to use as I will. I can waste it or use it for good. What I do today is important, because I'm exchanging a day of my life for it. When tomorrow comes, this day will be gone forever, leaving in its place something that I have traded for it. I want it to be gain, not loss; good, not evil; success, not failure; in order that I shall not regret the price I paid for it." Anonymous

God doesn't force us to live for Him. He gave us freewill. For each day is for us to do what we wish, but in doing so what are we giving up to make our day all about us? When we make our day all about us, we are leaving God in the backseat.

If yesterday is gone, and we have no idea about the future, all we have is this moment right now. So what do we do with our moment? Do we examine our lives and say, "I worked hard, and I deserve this"? Most of the things we think we deserve are not things God would have for us. I am learning this in my own life. If I really think about Him and all He is, I must come to the conclusion that I deserve nothing, and all I do have are blessings from Him.

When we choose to live for ourselves, we are accepting failure. When we choose to live for God we are accepting greatness. When I look at my past I clearly see how much time I have wasted, even yesterday I can see time wasted, so today is a new day that I can change all that. I don't have to look back, but if I choose to look at right now I am not going to miss out on anything God has for me. If I continue to live in the past or even wish for the future, I am missing the life He has for me now.

We watch our children grow and see how fast time really moves. We can look to our parents and wish we had more time left with them. We spend too much time looking back and forward. That is where all those, "What if's and If Only's", come in. If we just concentrate on today we will not miss out on anything.

I don't want to live in regret any longer. I look at my past and see regret, see time wasted, and time spent on me. I want to see Jesus in my life today. I want to make each moment all about Him, and too often than not I make it about me and my wants, not His will for me.

I love history. I love looking back at the wisdom of those who have come before us. If we can take in wisdom we will gain a better understanding of our lives today. No one know what the future will hold, what tomorrow will bring, or if there will be a tomorrow. So why do we find ourselves so caught up in what we are doing for the weekend, what our summer plans are, and what vacation site are we going to? Yes, its great to plan, but if we are not careful we get lost in those plans, only living for the weekend, or that girls night out, and we forget those little blessings we have right before us.

Life is precious and life is sweet. No matter what today is bringing forth we make sure of one thing. The Lord will be in it, and that is something I do not want to miss.

AddToAny

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...