Friday, March 26, 2010

need some soothing?

I am one of these girls that carry different lotions in my purse. I also have a collection of Mary Kay lotions in my bathroom. I love lotion. I love the smell, the feel, and the comfort. Putting lotion on makes your rough, dry hands smooth again. It gives moisture to those cracks that seem to peel and hurt as the day goes on.
My husband has the hands of a working man. From cutting wood, and working around the land his hands are always spitting open and cracking, bringing with it pain. As I give my lotion to him he looks at me as though asking, "Are you really serious, you want me to use this girly stuff?" You know what? He does, and as he does he sees his rough, dry hands turn more smooth and warm.

Ever have yourself one of those sunburns that hurts so badly and begins to crack on your shoulders? I have had second and third degree burns before. Second from the sunshine, and third when I spilled my mom's coffee down my chest when I was only three. When your skin is hurting so bad, all you want is comfort. You want relief and you want soothing to come. After a sunburn I love adding those creams to calm the burn and bring relief.

When we are hurting what is that we need the most? Comfort, and in that comfort we need soothing words to wash over us. That is exactly what the Lord's words and love do for us. When we are hurting, when our hearts are dry and thirsty, He is there to bring exactly what we need.

His words are like lotion to our hearts. They bring soothing comfort in a sweetness that satisifies like sweet nectar.

When our hands or feet are so dry they hurt, one drop of lotion doesn't heal them right away. It takes applying that cream over our skin many times a day. The more we continue to use it, the more smooth and healed they become.

The same is with God's word. We need it daily. We need it at times moment by moment. In those times we keep applying His words to our dry, cracked soul, He brings more comfort. Those rough, dry spots are being replaced with smooth, quenching comfort.

My lotion bottle says, "Heals dry problem skin. Skin therapy cream. Penetrates fast and is long lasting." Sounds pretty good doesn't it? That is exactly what my heart needs from the Lord. His word heals my problems. His word is therapy to my soul. His word penetrates fast and it is long lasting. As I continue buying lotion, it reminds me just how much I really need the Lord and how His word is what my heart needs for healing and growth.

Wherever you are today the Lord's word can wash over you cleansing you, healing you, and bringing comfort. Whether is it you in need or a friend in need, you can find your comfort in God's word. Allow Him to bring soothing to your heart. If you have a hurting friend right now, wash God's pure love over them and you will see the love of Christ move through your healing touch.
2 Corinthians 1:3-5 "Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies and God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our tribulation, that we may be able to comfort those who are in any trouble, with the comfort with which we ourselves are comforted by God. For as the sufferings of Christ abound in us, so our consolation also abounds through Christ."

AddToAny

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...