Tuesday, August 25, 2009

what if today was your last day?

Just what if today was your last day here on earth, what would you do? Would you be fearful or praiseful? What would come first on your list of things for the last twenty-four hours of life? Would you get your affairs in order, would you have all your family over, would you go on a trip, would you be with friends, would you want to be alone, would you have a party, would you make phone calls to all you love, would you forgive all those who have hurt you, would you ask forgiveness of all those who hurt you, would you take a long walk in the fresh air, would you ride a bike like when you were ten, would you have the biggest meal ever with your friends and family, would you write cards, video your words to all, would you spend the time with your Savior making things right? So many questions we could share about our last day here. Not many of us get that chance, so why not begin today living as though it was your last day? Why not live out each moment as it is your last to see a friend, kiss your husband, hug your child, have dinner with a friend, and live each day with a love for Christ that is overflowing with joy? We often say, "I'll call her later", "I'll send a card tomorrow", "I'll tell them I'm sorry tomorrow", "I'll visit with them when I find time in my day", "I should call them and tell them I am here for them", "I will help my mom tomorrow", and "I'll stop by the hospital tomorrow, today is just too busy for me." For all those "What if's, and I wish I would have's", we can change those today. Today as we are living and breathing we can make a choice to reach out to those around us. We can make a difference in our land if we will just take the time today. We don't know if this will be our last minute, our last hour, or our last day, so what are we waiting for? We take for granit each day we have, I do, just as you. We put so many things off for tomorrow, or next week, or when I have time. We can communicate in so many ways now, what is stopping us from reaching that friend, that neighbor, our parents, our children, our family, our friends? I know what it is, we are selfish, we are too concerned with our life, and we think our time is special and it is ours. We have all been here, and there will come a day, when we carry guilt, when we say those words, "I wish I could see them just one more time", "I wish I could have had more time with them." Today is a day given as a gift from Christ. What do you think we should do with our gift? There are times we stop reaching out, there are times we allow ourselves to become too busy just to say hello. Just to give someone a smile, will touch their heart. Just to let someone know you are thinking about them, will bless them and bring a smile to their face. I don't want to waste the time I have. I want to share it with all, I want to reach out to all. I want to make a difference. In order to do that, I must stop looking at myself, stop thinking of time as mine and begin using our time wisely, giving love, sharing my heart, and touching those around me. I can think of so many things I would love to do if I only had one day left, but why stop there? If I live each day like that now, my days are going to be Christ filled, and He is going to shine before all just by taking time for others, letting others know just how much you love them, and how special they are to you. Don't wait to give a rose to the dead, give a living rose out daily to those around you. "Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal. And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries and all knowledge, and thought I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor and though I give my body to be burned, but have not love, it profits me nothing. Love suffers long and is kind: love does not envy; love does not parade itself, is not puffed up; does not behave rudely, does not seek its own, is not provoked, thinks no evil; does not rejoice in iniquity, but rejoices in the truth; bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. Love never fails. But whether there are prophecies, they will fail; whether there are tongues, they will cease; whether there is knowledge, it will vanish away. For we know in part and we prophecy in part. But when that which is perfect has come, then that which is in part will be done away. When I was a child, I spoke as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child; but when I became a man, I put away childish things. for now we see in a mirror, dimly, but then face to face. Now I know in part, but then I shall know just as I also am known. And now abide faith, hope, love, these three; but the greatest of these is love." 1 Corinthians 13

AddToAny

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...