Thursday, July 23, 2009

Our last game...

Tonight we played our last game of softball for our church league. It was so much fun. It was raining, it was muddy, and it was a time full of laughs. I think it was one of the best ones we have played, and ya know which ones those are? The ones we play for fun. Some take it really serious, and winning is what it is all about for them,for us it is about fun and fellowship and if we get a win from playing our best,then that is just an added bonus. I have to give my thanks to our coach Bob. He is the greatest, and he is our pitcher. He as do all the other men who play work all day and then come out and play with all their hearts. We have Dave who does the books and puts us in our position, and he and I have so many laughs together. It is always sad when the last game comes, for we have such a great time.It awesome to see Matt at first, and me make a mistake and throw the ball fourteen feet above his head, to watch Nathan play short-stop and play with all his heart, Matt over on third or my husband trying to get the ball to first in time, Jake out there in the field making great plays or falling to try to get one, Brad laughing in the outfield and us cheering him on when he makes a great play, Dave making all the noise in the field getting us fired up, and Bob making all those pitches with trading places with Randy. What would our team be without Randy to make us all laugh. We had new players this year, and some old, some like me coming back from injuries, and we made a great team. We have to give Andrew trouble since he's the newbie, and for the games the girls were there, they were fun to watch. Its always amazing to see someone hit it over the fench, or make a homerun just by hitting it in the infield! It is great to meet new people and laugh with those you usually do not see. We had great kids on our team this year. I got to play with my son and husband and what a gift that is. When all our kids were at home we all got to play together. Softball brings people close together, it brings families closer, and it leaves memories to last forever. This was the first year I have ever played that I did not get hurt! That is awesome in itself, and I am so thrilled I have no injuries. A field full of dirt and grass, a few bases placed around, gloves in hand, and a bat near by, who knew it could be so fun, so awesome, and such a blessing? When I began playing quite a few years ago, we had an ump named Don. He was a ball of fire, with a sweetness only God could give. He was the best ump ever. He stood with a smile, a laugh and a kind word each time you went up to bat. He made each game worthwhile, and he gave each play his attention. He gave me lots of trouble and we laughed together a many times. We lost him a few years back and I have missed him every since. It just isn't the same walking up to bat without seeing Don standing there. To Don, I say job well done, and we will forever miss you. Thank you to our ump this year. You did a great job, coming each game and giving your time. I would list all our players but I know I would forget someone. It has been so great getting to know some of our youth better, and getting to laugh with them. There is just something grand about a game that brings you together to bring glory and honor to God. I love picking up my glove,putting my hand in it and running out to second base, feeling the hot sun bake on your face, or in the cool night air as tonight was. Whether I was on second or catcher it was a blast and I pray that we can have many more games of fellowship and laugher together. We should be able to add such laughter to life, to get together and show love for one another in our everyday lives. Softball can teach us great lessons,lessons to last a lifetime,it not about winning or how great you are. It is about friendships made while having fun and being the best that you can be. Lord, I say thank you for allowing such great fun on Tuesday and Thursday nights, they are nights that we will always remember. So for now I will put up my glove, put my tennis-shoes away,place my shirt in the drawer until another year...

AddToAny

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...