Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Dad.....

Memories of my father are so fresh in my mind, like hes still here at times. I lost him to cancer 23 years ago,when I was 19. At the age when your just really beginning to realize whats important and who your parents really are. My dad was a quiet man, but taught me many things. He taught me how to stand up for myself, how to be strong, and he taught me about grace and dignity. Every once in awhile a breeze will blow by with a fragrance that reminds me of him, or I'll see someone that looks kinda like him or walks like him, and I turn to take another look. I dream of him sometimes, not very often, but when I do, I awake realizing it was just a dream, and wanting so badly to go back to sleep so I could see his face once more. He taught me when I was little how to play baseball. There were no softballs at our house, those were for girls!! We would go to the park when I was little and try to play basketball, it was always fun when I was little with him. When my Mother would be at work at night, he would take me to this special store, which ofcourse isn't there anymore, and he would by me a yo-yo, or clackers. I had a whole collection of different colors. Its funny the things we remember and hold on to. I never realized all his sacrifices until it was too late. My dad worked so very hard, and always put me first. I thought my daddy would always be here, never for one moment did I think he wouldn't. Even when he was sick, I refused to believe he would not be here for me to love. I miss him so very much, it feels like yesterday when I lost him. I always said I wish I could just have one more day with him, to tell him all the things I never got to say, tell him how sorry I was for my teenage years and hurting him so, and just to tell him how much I love him. In reality, one day just wouldn't be enough, I would want more. He was such an amazing person. I am blessed, that my son looks just like his grandfather. He has the same eyes and the same smile, and he loves to fish, just like his grandpa. The one thing I could share that I learned from the loss of my father is that we dont know what each day will bring. We shouldn't wait to say those words to the ones we love, and to never take anyone for granit. Live out each day as it is our last and treat people with love and respect, never knowing when it might be our last time we see them.I do know I will see my daddy in Heaven, he was saved before he died, so I have that to hold on to,I will see him again. This time when we meet in Heaven.......

AddToAny

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...